Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Hansen Dam (cement hole) closed for fishing? Still stocking catfish?

Default Hansen Dam (cement hole) closed for fishing? Still stocking catfish?

My elderly mom, who lives in the SFV, needs help with some house projects so going to stay there for awhile so I can get some stuff done for her.

Does anyone know if we can fish at Hansen Dam right now or when it will be open?

I drove by but the entrance off Osborne St. is closed due to Covid-19 testing being done there and the parking lot off Foothill Blvd. is also closed.

I used to fish here whenever they stocked catfish but that was probably 10 years ago.

Are they still stocking this place? The stocking schedule is down due to Covid-19 so can't tell from the website.

There are catfish in Lake Balboa. I believe they are reproducing, they are not stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshibata1 View Post
    There are catfish in Lake Balboa. I believe they are reproducing, they are not stocked.
    Balboa Lake was pretty gross from what I remember but to be fair, that was a pretty long time ago.

There are some big bass in there. Also a bunch of tilapia. I don't keep anything, but it's not bad. There's a constant waterfall and some aerators, and there is an outlet so it's not stagnant water.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshibata1 View Post
    There are some big bass in there. Also a bunch of tilapia. I don't keep anything, but it's not bad. There's a constant waterfall and some aerators, and there is an outlet so it's not stagnant water.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll go check it out sometime.

I'm normally about 99% catch and release in freshwater.
    On occasion, I'll keep stocked Catfish, stocked Trout, or Striper.
    My mom loves eating fish though so I'll try to make the next couple of fishing trips places where I can bring something home for dinner.