Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegills

Default Bluegills

Hello all,

I have been many times to Skinner for large mouth, but never bluegill, taking my nephews in 2 weeks, any help would be great, area and baits

thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by darknight63 View Post
    Hello all,

I have been many times to Skinner for large mouth, but never bluegill, taking my nephews in 2 weeks, any help would be great, area and baits

thank you in advance
    These were caught on crickets!!
    Try by the

Try by the reeds’

CM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3ABD3FDC-D35F-4B11-90D6-EE9B647B7EC0.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	52714

Nightcrawlers and meal worms work too. Got these by ramp 2.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
    These were caught on crickets!!
    Try by the

Try by the reeds’

CM
    Hey Mike,
    Nice gills and they're still out there. I'm curious, what year was the photo taken?

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    Hey Mike,
    Nice gills and they're still out there. I'm curious, what year was the photo taken?
    There still in there’
    More people are fishing
    For them now,,,
    Pic was around 09...
    They bust the two pound
    Test, use four or three///

CM

I knew it had been a while back. The Team Panfish hat and the fish cleaning station were dead giveaways.
    Dale

Can i get crickets at skinner???

You'll have to check. They use to have them at the boat rental dock, but that was years ago. I buy mine at Rainbow Mealworms in Bonsall, just off Hwy 76. You can get a 100 for less than $10.00. If you go there, get the big ones. They have 3 or 4 sizes.

darknight63.. Get your bait at pet shops/feed stores. I can get 100 large for $5 at my local pet shop. You need to call around. You also need a cricket bait cage. Be sure to keep the crickets cool and in the shade out of this sun and heat. Put a piece of potato or celery in with them. As far as fishing with them at Skinner, the large Bluegills are fairly deep so I would suggest fishing the deeper outside points of the reeds or bulrushes where they are just barely sticking out of the water, in about 8 to 15 feet deep or even deeper.. I'll try to post my set-up rig.
    Last edited by fishmounter; 06-10-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Here's my rig.. You don't need to use 2 lb test line. 4 is fine, but you'll get more bites with 2 in the clear water. And I've never had a Bluegill break my 2 lb unless they swim into a snag. Redears can break your line on their initial run if your drag is set too tight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG rig drawing.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	52716

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast