Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: An Epic day at PARRIS!

Default An Epic day at PARRIS!

Well I just wrote a hugh post only to discover that I was not logged in, so here is the brief version. The fish count was Durdy Daug 10, Juan 5, and Vu 2, Vu's friend 0.

As much as I did not want to hunt and peck out another report... I know that the Jig Guy enjoys reading my posts so here goes with the repeat. I only hope that it comes out as good as it did the first time that I wrote it...
    Vu and I started out at 07:00 I was able to ride all the was up the hill today unlike the last Sunday. Well back to my adventure... Vu caught the first fish, and it was a long and drawn out time till I was able to vindicate my self, I was loosing all my confidence and in great fear that I was going to spend the entire day casting, retrieving and then repeating it all over again. Well as near as I can recall about 08:30 I was able to get the skunk off my back landing my first fish. I was walking out up to nearly the top of my rocky knee high boots, The others said I was cheating cuz I was able to get out into about 12 inches of water, which translated to about 15 feet further then they could get, thus making it possible to cast a few feet farther then them and I was also able to land my fish easier than them. We seen a guy fishing waist deep in his shorts, I told Vu that I had matured over the past few years as I would have been out there with him in my underwear!
    Well I followed the shore line as it wound around the east side to the north side, I caught a few more fish as I went. At one point in my Journey I was walking towards the water as I had done so many times before when to my sheer terror I sunk up past my knees in pure muck, my boots immediately filled with water and sludge and I sank quite deep. I was able to get out but the damage was done, I was soaking wet and my feet quickly got really cold and sore. To make this story shorter than the previous version... I started to walk out into the water up to my crotch! Well it was all worth it, I was able to cast into the heavy brush where all the fish seemed to be hanging out. As I said it was an epic day. When we first started the day one of the fishermen said, "what a great day, we have the lake to ourselves!" Yup says I, and the weather sure is great! Little did we know, there ended up being no less than 50 people out there today, many riding bicycles or just out walking in the sunshine.
    The previous version was much more detailed, but I am running out of steam...
    Last edited by Durdy Daug; 04-19-2020 at 07:21 PM.

I was riding my bike in on the bernasconi side, but the county came in and put no parking signs all the way down bernasconi and 200 yards in either direction on Ramona expressway. Are the guys entering by the fair park??? That's a pretty steep hill but has pretty quick access to the damn. I'm just not sure where a guy would park his car. You fellas must be com I g in from the northeast entrance. Is their ample car parking near by????....
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 04-20-2020 at 07:09 PM.

We came in from the south entrance off Iris.
    Ps I forgot to mention the fish count. Vu 2, Juan, 5, and I 10...

Durdy Daug. I used to wade and fish in shorts and old tennis shoes, the entire Sail Cove area starting about this time of year and on into summertime. I would wade out to waste deep and fish all around me, even dropping my bait straight down 6-7 feet away. They bass would be very close if you did not move. My best baits by far were the 6 inch straight RoboWorm in Prism Shad and Bold Bluegill with a small 1/16 ounce round jighead threaded into the head of the worm on 6lb test mono. (not many snags in this area so an open hook jig head works great.) After working it back in by bouncing and jiggling it back, let it sit on the bottom straight down from your rod tip and just slightly jig it a couple inches up and down. Seems like bass would follow the worm but not take it until it was bounced up and down. Quite a blast to have a decent bass take your bait almost at your feet! You need to give this a try. Not to be picky, you mis-spelled Perris. (with an e, not an a) The city and lake are named after Fred T. Perris, the Chief Engineer of the California Southern Railroad. No big deal, just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks, I'll try that out on the east / north side tomorrow. I was really hoping that the lake would open up like the county lakes did, but it looks like another long hot bike ride in. If I have a decent day I will post a blog tomorrow.