Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild trout -- still catching them locally.

1. Default Wild trout -- still catching them locally.

Howdy.

Still fishing, not posting as much.

Still hiking and fishing local hidden creeks in our mountains.

Still catching and releasing.

These were caught on a fly dry/dropper rig. Chunky, aggressive rainbows, in deep, fast pools.

Nice to get these as a reward for a hike!

Tight lines, all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creek8.jpg 
Views:	1341 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	52566

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creek9.jpg 
Views:	1085 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	52567

Nice to know their still there! Wtg

Cya Tuna Vic

Very nice! Great job.

Nice reward for your efforts, congrats!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Nice reward for your efforts, congrats!

TD
    Arnt those tiny creeks dry by now? I went a week ago and couldnt see any signs of life in the water whatsoever!

Very cool and neat to celebrate this unusual resource. Thank you for not naming any waters. It's been a good season. Note to castle - some of these creeks do go "dry" or, better put, super low. The fish often have to endure tough conditions in summer and hide in small pools or in low water (drought too) years they will die. It's a tough existence to be a trout in So Cal.

Dumb question on these fish. Is it Barbless Fly fishing Catch & Release only?

I've been out in the San Gabriels the last couple Fridays and also had good luck, with fish from 2 inches to about 9 inches on the line.
    They're out there and they're biting.
    I used a bead head nymph with an indicator.
    Last edited by river-z; 06-10-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Dumb question on these fish. Is it Barbless Fly fishing Catch & Release only?
    Barbless regs apply to some waters and not to others.
    You can download regs here:
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=177572&inline
    It's taken me years (most of my life) to get better at fishing almost 100% barbless no matter where I am fishing because I simply feel too crappy when a small trout has been hooked in a serious way and is super distressed and/or injured. Heck, even a larger trout. If you're targeting fish for the table or really gung ho to not lose a trophy that you know lurks in a special spot, I think barbless is best. Losing a fish without leaving a fly or lure in its mouth feels way better than losing a fish and knowing that somewhere out there it's suffering (even if it survives). The subtext, of course, is that barbless fishing means that a fish can shake the fly or lure loose more easily. Call me a softy ;)

Don't see anything wrong with fishing barbless, especially in unique conditions. It is called a "challenge" and "conserving a resource". No shame for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast