Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: TJ TV Episode 5: Searching for the Elusive Oregon Steelhead

Default TJ TV Episode 5: Searching for the Elusive Oregon Steelhead

Here it is! My month long hunt for My first Oregon Steelhead rolled into a half hour HD film!

Disclaimer:
    don’t try any of this at home or anywhere else. You could be died, imprisoned, accosted by Oregonian rogue leaf growers or god knows what else.

PS..
    rated R for strong language and suggestive smoking themes

https://youtu.be/9yCcIBk6Rok
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-23-2020 at 06:35 AM.

That's good stuff, watched w/o sound (kid sleeping) and enjoyed. I used to do bushwhack fishing when was living in ID. Thanks for taking time to share, I loved throwing spinners of all sizes for salmonids in PNW.
    Also, looks like your dog is ready to snap some fish, just read him the regs..

Have fun out there!

Sorry haven’t been able to read and comment on everyone’s reports lately!
    I’m out camping in the woods still chasing the fishes while I look for houses. Hoping the search is over soon! Corona virus isn’t helping anything. Stay safe folks, love ya’ll.
    ForestJunkie over and out!

PS I just ordered some swimbaits and chatterbaits for an attack on Hagg lake. I lost a giant fish there that broke a rod several years ago. Time to go get him back! Was either a trophy smallie, or a giant catfish. Cause it was swimming down down down like either of the two as fighting for dear life.

we will find out soon.

my I also need to find a salmon and a sturgeon now, soon.

stay tuned. I’m not done yet! Making content like crazy..

Your putting in some WORK!!!

Way to go,,,

CM

Caught two more. One each the last two days.
    then I hear over my solar radio that state parks and forests are closed and the fishing season is closed until at least April 8th.

looks like that’s it for a while.
    maybe I’ll throw up video of the other two. One about 2/3rds the size of the first and one about 1/4.

Lol buncha thumbs down on my video.

1) lots of protective people of this area probably don’t want it on film. Search youtube, it’s a famous area for steelhead and has a lot of competition. People are not friendly about catching these fish, and I probably won’t make a hobby or career of it. I found my river monster and I’m happy. I released it. I’m done. Have at it..
    2) jealous folks. When you have some haters, you know you’ve “made it”.
    3) I’d like to see how others handle their first steelhead of that size, in their socks after a fiver minute battle, when their camera and fish grip are back at the truck. After searching for a month, you better believe I ran to my truck with the fish for a quick video shot.
    4) I was careful to gill it by the plate and not a gill. You can clearly see that in the video. I wasn’t grabbing gills, there was no blood. The fish was fine. I saw it the next day in the same pool. It’s days are numbered anyway. It was lucky I let it live. A few days later the whole pool was fished out and lead weights on the floor everywhere. Somebody found the spot and probably killed the fish anyway.
    5) In that soaking wet 30* environment, it impossible for the video drone to hurt anything. I do carry extinguishers etc. and did not fly beyond line of sight or into terrain I couldn’t quickly gain access to and stop a battery fire. Things don’t burn in this forest on the winter anyway. Trust me, I’ve tried.
    6)the drone was not used to find fish, nor was it used on the same days I was fishing.
    6)Cigaweed is legal. Same thing as watching somebody drink a beer. It’s 2020..

relax
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-30-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Time to go get that giant smallie that I lost four years ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAF6209B-06F7-4798-9EAF-E61C31EEAF31.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	52568

when I’m chasing river fish on spinning and casting gear, at times it feels like
    shooting fish in a barrel. All you have to do is find them and they will usually bite if you didn’t spook them. Finding them is the hard part. Although I will say those steelhead fight really hard and jump all over up and down into the next pool or whatever. I feel bad for them. They are being attacked hard.

I feel less bad when I fish for fish in a larger body of water. They aren’t so trapped and opportunistic.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-30-2020 at 03:35 PM.