Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Barney, Trask 3/19/20 So close!

Default Barney, Trask 3/19/20 So close!

Was up at Barney Res getting some wicked drone diving gap footy last night and today. Waiting for new windshield to repair leak Instal tomorrow.

on the way down from Barney I found a little cut road that shot down to the Trask way way back in the hills. The water was super skinny. I never expected anything to be in the pool. I just wanted to smoke and get my lime wet for a second. So I threw out a trout sized panther Martin gold blade black body yellow spots on the black body.

two cast in I’m zoning out Kinda switching between jigging and spinning the lure down the stream and I notice a SUBMARINE follow my tiny trout spinner to shore and nip it with his nose. I wasnt even paying attention really but I lifted my rod tip and I felt weight and then nothing. The lure bounced out of the fishes mouth and didn’t get hooked. Trout size hook on a steelhead jaw! ****!

I was awake now, that was for sure. Just in time to realize the fish of a lifetime was giving me the fin.
    it turned and I saw it’s side, it’s bright red color and it’s length whic was probably about 25” and girth was unfreakingbelievable. This was a 10lb steelhead, at least, bouncing off my trout spinner. I watched the SUBMARINE slowly swim back out into the skinny water.

I would never believe fish that huge would be in such skinny water even after finding 16” trout in 1” of water in Los Angeles.
    I can’t believe how close I was to a giant trophy steelhead.

the season closes in two days! Ill be busy and unable to come back here before season close, but I’ll keep trying for a steelhead in a other area. I’m hooked now for sure. That thing was HUUUUGE.

THEY DO EXIST!!!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-19-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Ps some sick footage coming up TJ TV episode 5 : Barney, Wilson
    , Trask!

cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
    cant wait!
    Teasers!

custom hard caramelized white/neon orange/ neon pink eggs made by one guy encapsulated in custom rubber/urethane soft coating dipped by another guy. $0.50 each! Supposed to be dank!

micro pre-pegged bobber stops

marobou “nightmare” color and sand shrimp color jigs. This the stuff they like I guess but I can’t make it work. Spinners work better. Thank heaven! Those are a blast to fish.. and they work basically everywhere. I got some larger steelhead sized ones now.

That Salmon sticker cost a donation to the fund

also found where people are buying the live sand shrimp. But where I found that fish, bait is illegal anyway. Good!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A6B739D-DAC9-41B9-A940-29D191803692.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	52533
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-19-2020 at 09:03 PM.

I guess the same water I’m fishing has salmon runs.
    I have some interesting video once I can get it all together..
    foshing big Oregon rivers starting off with no guides is very tough, even for an experienced fishermen gaining tips at shops and custom lures along the way
    during a pandemic..
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-19-2020 at 08:58 PM.