Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Releasing PB made easy

Default Releasing PB made easy

After being nearly skunked on a shore-surf fishing last week (2 small perch) I was ready for first outing of the year on longboard, at least to get out and check the waters. So in 2 h with minimal swell I launched into one of the nearby bass spots and quickly realized that the kelp is not there and neither were calicos, baitfish, birds, smelt, or any other life forms. Well, no matter what, the place holds sand bass on the bottom, so I started dragging heavy jig with plastic near bottom and hooking up. I think I got 7-8 with 2-3 >14” and happily released them as I usually do. Water was not very cold but there was slight breeze and after getting a fix, I started to paddle to shore.

If you paddled the surfboard before you know – it can glide nicely but it really helps to stop and rest ones in a while and so I did so just before the breakers in about 10-15 ft of water before landing. I can never just sit there and rest, so I toss my plastic out. As I bring it in it feels like I hooked a big garbage bag: it does not run but feels like a constant heavy weight that I work on with gentle lift and reel motions as if moving it up small steps on stairs in the water.

SO I though it may be a hali but when I saw the size of it I was surprised – it was big and right then it launched into a couple strong runs, burning off 15lb line off tight drag. I repeated the motions and in a minute, I slide it on top of my board and realized it is the biggest one I got in CA and surely my PB in the surf. Since I did not plan on keeping any fish and only had small pliers and nail clippers for line, in the next few seconds I have a flurry of thoughts: from how would I possibly bring it vs the mantra of always releasing your PB. I did not even have measuring tape but it was wider than my board and I guess around 40” in length. Well, the hali would only enjoy my procrastination for so long and after couple massive flops got off the board into the drink making the decision for me. It means good karma for the rest of the year, right?

Exciting,those were some good eats that went back to Poseidon,there’s still many more out there,no worries!

Cya Tuna Vic