Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Day at Perris

Default Sad Day at Perris

Wind was blowing 15-20 mph and I caught a couple of nice fish, but it was a lousy day at Perris. My son and I were cruising the west side of the island across from the launch ramp, when we passed a kayaker. I mentioned to my son he must be good, because waves were coming over the bow of my 21 ft. Triton. We went down another 200 yds and dropped the troller. My son then says to me "hey that kayak is empty." There was another boater in the area who we believed was pulling up the kayaker. We immediately headed over to help and soon realized that wasn't the case. He had seen him in the water, but he wasn't able to get to him in time. We both frantically searched for the next 20 minutes until the sheriff arrived. He instructed us to circle the island, but we new it would be to no avail. We retrieved the kayak that still had the life jacket aboard. We left about an hour later and interviewed with the sheriff, and the dive team that had just arrived. Prayers for the family, and please use your life jackets. It was a sad day at Perris.

How very sad. My friend Juan and I fish every Sunday at either Silverwood or Parris, but I seen the wind forecast and opted out today, Juan went and fished the shore and said that there were a dozen or so boats out there today and I was shocked that that many boats would be out there and additionally shocked that the lake allowed boats to launch with the wind forecast of 20 MPH. I almost never wear a life vest... I know that I am really dumb seeing how I cant swim... When I do go out in the rain with heavy current I do wear my life vest, but I know that all the other times I am being reckless by not wearing a life vest. So Sad for the person and their family...

Default Sad day

Quote Originally Posted by Durdy Daug View Post
    How very sad. My friend Juan and I fish every Sunday at either Silverwood or Parris, but I seen the wind forecast and opted out today, Juan went and fished the shore and said that there were a dozen or so boats out there today and I was shocked that that many boats would be out there and additionally shocked that the lake allowed boats to launch with the wind forecast of 20 MPH. I almost never wear a life vest... I know that I am really dumb seeing how I cant swim... When I do go out in the rain with heavy current I do wear my life vest, but I know that all the other times I am being reckless by not wearing a life vest. So Sad for the person and their family...

Millsap I know exactly what you felt like today and how it’s going to impact you for some time to come , I went through the same thing you did a few years back as a kayaker that didn’t know how to swim was not wearing his life vest And he flipped his kayak I was Like you today unable to locate him as he went straight down quickly very sad day indeed.
    For those that are reading this the life vest will save your life don’t be afraid to wear it
    Last edited by Askwhy; 03-01-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Man that sucks to hear. I feel so bad for his family. We lost 2 teenagers and their boat driver at Pickwick last week. Their boat went over the spillway and was found 14 miles downstream. We all get too complacent at times. With all the time on the water I have spent throughout the years, ya, now I wear my SOS Mustang inflatable the minute I get out of my truck. It's a numbers game.

Quote Originally Posted by Askwhy View Post
    Millsap I know exactly what you felt like today and how it’s going to impact you for some time to come , I went through the same thing you did a few years back as a kayaker that didn’t know how to swim was not wearing his life vest And he flipped his kayak I was Like you today unable to locate him as he went straight down quickly very sad day indeed.
    For those that are reading this the life vest will save your life don’t be afraid to wear it
    Yeah we were pretty devastated, but I'm sure not nearly as his family. It was rough in the 21 ft. Triton let alone a kayak. We don't always wear them either, but I sure the hell would on a kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    Man that sucks to hear. I feel so bad for his family. We lost 2 teenagers and their boat driver at Pickwick last week. Their boat went over the spillway and was found 14 miles downstream. We all get too complacent at times. With all the time on the water I have spent throughout the years, ya, now I wear my SOS Mustang inflatable the minute I get out of my truck. It's a numbers game.
    Yeah I read about that too. Did they ever find them? I know I'm complacent at times too. Have to rethink things particularly in cold weather with heavy gear on.

dam that sucks, i dont like wearing life jackets on my kayak too but if its a windy day im wearing it, not taking any chances

Sad to hear. I can't believe how many kayakers drown with a life vest in their kayak. I never go out without wearing one. If size or weight are uncomfortable, get a inflatable. Inflatables are so small and light you won't even notice them.

Press Enterprise just posted this;

https://www.pe.com/2020/03/01/man-mi...t-lake-perris/

For as small as that lake is the water can get really rough.

Press Enterprise just posted this;

https://www.pe.com/2020/03/01/man-mi...t-lake-perris/

For as small as that lake is the water can get really rough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast