Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Minn kota trolling motors

Default Minn kota trolling motors

Anyone out there have any experience with the Minn Kota Ulterra i pilot link trolling motor? I am looking on updating my bass boats electronics and have read reviews on the Ulterra. The reports are about 50% good and bad. Most of the reports are 1 or 2 years old, and I am wondering if Minn Kota has addressed / Fixed the issues - mainly with the auto stow auto deploy feature. I am also wondering about the optimal batteries to use as well as the "Quick release" optional feature. I am torn between the Ulterra, the ultrex, and the Terrova. All have the option of the i pilot link, but only the ulterra has the auto stow auto deploy, the terrova has an assist deploy and stow, and the ultrex has the standard Manuel deploy stow. Sure would like to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

OK just my opinion. I've seen someone with Ulterra stow/deploy issues. I have an older Terrova without assist. I think the auto stow/deploy is a cool shiny thing, but not needed. Adds too much complexity and if it fails will ruin your day. If my Terrova were to die I would look long and hard at the Ultrex and whatever the new Terrova has to offer. Once you have spot-lock you will be ruined for life.

Default Murphy's Law

I'd had my Minn Kota Ulterra for over a year now and I simply love this trolling motor (I'm ruined to the max). I admit I don't fish as often I as I use to. Cross my finger's but I haven't had a concerning issue with my unit, but as Murphy's Law will have it, I better play it safe and keep a copy of the manual in the boat in case I need to emergency stow.
    Last edited by Shellback_USNRET; 03-05-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Thank you so much for the reply. I am siding towards the Ultrex. It seems like 50% of the Ulterra people have no problems but I am usually the other 50%. So I'm thing of just playing it safe and leaning towards the Ultrex. Only found a few differences between the Terroa and the Ultrex except the big one... the $.

I have had a Terrova since May 2017 and I can't imagine a boat without one now. I absolutely LOVE my motor. I have not used an anchor in these almost three years now. If you can easily reach the bow I see no need for the auto-deploy. I can use the Spot-Lock all day and not wear the batteries down.

Nice I am sold on the Ultrex! Cant wait till the wife gives me the green light!
    Really appreciate your reply. We anglers need to share information with each other more often in my opinion. I am always inviting a shore angler to fish with me on my boat, towing stranded boaters to the launch ramp and pulling off to the side of the road to provide road side assistance. ALWAYS pulling over to offer medical assistance at auto accidents...
    My wife reminds me that I cannot expect others to be like me but it sure is a good feeling when I do run into those who are...