Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Minn Kota Ulterra i pilot link trolling motor

Default Minn Kota Ulterra i pilot link trolling motor

Anyone out there have any experience with the Minn Kota Ulterra i pilot link trolling motor? I am looking on updating my bass boats electronics and have read reviews on the Ulterra. The reports are about 50% good and bad. Most of the reports are 1 or 2 years old, and I am wondering if Minn Kota has addressed / Fixed the issues - mainly with the auto stow auto deploy feature. I am also wondering about the optimal batteries to use as well as the "Quick release" optional feature. I am torn between the Ulterra, the ultrex, and the Terrova. All have the option of the i pilot link, but only the ulterra has the auto stow auto deploy, the terrova has an assist deploy and stow, and the ultrex has the standard Manuel deploy stow. Sure would like to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

Default Best Boat Investment I've Made

After pondering Power Poles vs Ulterra. I've bought the Ulterra about a year ago. Been out on the water about six times to date.

This Ulterra is OUTSTANDING.

The auto deploy and "Spot-Lock" kind of makes fishing lazy, but when you’re getting up in age that is a good thing. Self-launched my boat at Lake Skinner jumped out of my truck and watched my boat drift back, hit the auto deploy on the Ulterra remote (make sure you power the unit on before launch), put the trolling motor into "Spot-Lock" (Sit Boy), parked my truck walked down to the dock and maneuvered my boat to the dock with the remote control. Awesome!

The "Spot-Lock" is worth every penny. It has kept me tight in position as stated. Whether in deep or swallow water, wind or wave action, its pretty much spot on. No more playing heel and toe with the foot pedal. Get where you want to be, auto deploy, spot-lock or whatever mode you want to operate this unit in, and fish the day away. I love that now I can change out lures or rods, eat a sandwich, etc... and remain in position all while sitting in the coxswain seat.

Lot of bells and whistles with this Ulterra unit (Motor, Remote, and App) so standby for a learning lesson.

My Ranger had a recessed hole in the deck to house the foot pedal on my previous trolling motor. The Ulterra's foot pedal is wider (a beast) so I had a professional shop modify the boat deck to accept the Ulterra's foot pedal. Cost for installation and modification was a little steep, but I LOVE MY ULTERRA.

My only negative so far is to keep an eye on the sonar transducer cable that threads through the coiled motor cable. Sometimes with all the left/right adjustment when in the Spot-Lock mode it wraps around the motors shaft to tight and almost cut the transducer cable. I think I know what caused this problem and now I keep my eyes on target to prevent it from happening again.

Did I mention I LOVE THIS ULTERRA UNIT, it make a day on the water a pleasure.
    Last edited by Shellback_USNRET; 03-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Thank you so much for the reply... I have been siding with the Ultrex as I have seen so many bad reviews on line with the Ulterra. Many reviews posted trouble with the auto deploy and auto stow. People talked about having to keep the trolling motor stored in a climate controlled environment and other ways they had to "Baby" the unit. I admit I am really tough on my equipment and want a trolling motor that I can have installed one time and not have to worry about having the unit in the shop every 3 to 6 months. The only real difference that I can find between the Ulterra and the Ultrex is the auto deploy and Stow. The Ultrex is about $300 - $500 more than the Ulterra, but for me I am thinking of going ahead and investing the extra $ up front. I called Minn Kota to see if they were coming out with a new model to address all of the issues and the said that they did not think so but if they were any new models it would be late July. I am hoping to have the new equipment all installed in early June.
    Thanks again for the reply... I am still looking for advise as I have not bought the equipment yet!