Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: The trout were dancing on the tables at Irvine Lake!

Default The trout were dancing on the tables at Irvine Lake!

Probably one of the most famous hits in all of baseball was Babe Ruth's alleged called shot! Well I wrote the thread about last chance for Romance for trout at Irvine lake for 2020! Well I went on Friday Feb 28 to Irvine lake, the trout were good and drunk and dancing on the tables ready to go home with any wood be suitor! (trout fishermen) Lol I gave a strategy out on how to catch them and with only a few minor tweeks it was a good solid strategy! The fish bit very well from the boat docks all the way to the washed out ramp and beyond. Any group who knew how to fish had at least 3 or more trout on their stringers. So the day to go and location was spot on! The baits that worked best were Power bait (especially chartreuse) and Night crawlers. (some even made that a combination bait) The one part of my strategy that didn't work out was the bomb the Mice tail out there as far as you can. The fish were relative close all day! The Hot spot on the Bank was the picnic table about 100 yards down from the boat docks! I counted 18 trout from 1 big group that fished there! They caught all their fish on chartreuse power bait! (dipped in that Green slimy Berkeley stuff) They hadn't even stopped biting there when we left at noon!

So for those that were wondering what I did, here's the score. First bite came on Light green garlic injected power bait. 2nd and 3rd bites came on the same power bait combined with a piece of night crawler. (all dipped in Garlic) Where my screw up of the day came when, I went to the bomb cast with the orange power mouse with the white head. For 2 hours I didn't get any bites but people around me were still hooking up in a medium range cast. When I finally went short, bite 4 and 5 came pretty quick! Yea I know, I'm not perfect! Lol

You could probably still catch a trout or 2 there still, but the early bird still catches the trout! Those who went on Friday with a solid strategy should have been rewarded!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-29-2020 at 08:08 AM.

the night time is the right time to fish Irvine lake
    bass are starting to heat up as spring spawning approaches
    for you daytime adventurist
    I wouldn't hold your breath for the return of boat rentals, as the water district has no plans on making concessions to the county for development or extension of its current agreement
    they want a big piece of the pie including the dry storage revenue

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    the night time is the right time to fish Irvine lake
    bass are starting to heat up as spring spawning approaches
    for you daytime adventurist
    I wouldn't hold your breath for the return of boat rentals, as the water district has no plans on making concessions to the county for development or extension of its current agreement
    they want a big piece of the pie including the dry storage revenue
    I've been fishing Irvine Lake since the late 1960's. For the last 50 years, 98% of the time was in my boat. So I didn't think that much of shore fishing there. However, since they reopened in Aug, we caught 44 trophy catfish and trout every time we fished for them. (we are now starting to fish for carp with good results) We just had to re-learn the lake from the shore only in the day time. I will admit, I'm shocked about how well we do there from shore! So you really don't need a boat or have to fish at night to get good results there. (I know it would be better if you could) I do know people who fish there now, who makes us look like amateurs. So what does that tell you about the lake? Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-05-2020 at 08:24 AM.

float tubes