Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: One of those days I will remember for a while!

Default One of those days I will remember for a while!

So the day started out like most others... Up at 05:00, in line waiting about 06:40... All is just as expected so far... launch my boat only to find that it wont crank over... Pull it back up and discover right away that I forgot to put the drain plug in... Crap, Guess it was a blessing that it wouldn't start. Okay says me, I have jumper cables in the storage bin for just such issues. Attempt to jump my 2 trolling batteries to my main battery. Problem # 1 is that I initially can not tell which of the 3 batteries is which... Well no worries because no matter the combination that I try I can't get the motor to crank... Next my buddy, Juan brings his car up and we try to jump it... Nothing! Then a guy in a bronco says "I've got a strong battery, lets try it" Great I think... I've got some 6 gauge jumper cables so this just might work! Well that didn't work, I am tempted to go home and then drive to BPS to get a new battery, I'm actually tempted to do that like 4 times... Just then I turn on my ignition, which is one of those fancy digital ones that check out the whole system... It ready "Battery Okay". Well not I am getting really worried... Starter? Tempted again to go home... Then Juan says "Hey did you check the kill switch?"

Yup, you guessed it... I had tripped the kill switch when I was working on my new seats. Wow What a fool!
    Then we motor to the buoys start to fish along with like 9 other boats lined up all around the buoy line and about 1 hour in we hear a bull horn warning up to get off the buoy line . I look up at the road on top of the spillway and there is Ranger Bob with his binoculars... No worries thinks I, I'm no longer bungee corded to the buoys I'm on my trolling motor. "Move Off the line! If your boat touches the buoy I will fine you!"
    Then I'm coming home after a rather stressful day of fishing and as I'm motoring down the 15 Fwy, I am daydreaming and miss the 215 turn off...
    Wow What a day!

I did the kill switch thing at DMV. New boat at the time, and had some other fella not said "did you check" I would have trailered home.
    Did you catch anything?

Totally sucks hate those bad days but we all have them sooner or later. I was there Saturday saw all the people fishing for trout crazy at the ramp. I bought a boat so not to have to be in the crowd so headed out to fish open water and take my chances. We have a few catfish spots that work all year round ended up with one 8# and one 10# so day was good.
    Your next trip will be better.

Well I do wish I knew where those catfish spots were, I love a good catfish fight! Caught 5 strippers, Juan caught 3. We tried for the trout in miller canyon but nary a bite...

This is not from last trip I did not take any photos. But a few trips ago they were caught in outhouse cove with the cats I lose most of the big ones cause of the trees got to pull them off the bottom fast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woods.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	52449

second cove to the right off the main channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Durdy Daug View Post
    second cove to the right off the main channel?

Yup with the water low now you can see all the dead trees that are in there. When the water is up you can not see them cats love to hang out around them.
    Was that your boat at the dock that my dog jumped into?
    Last edited by drifter023; 01-30-2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more info.

I think so if it was a while ago... I stripped all the tracker decals off the hull of the boat and put stickers on it "Durdy Daug II".
    I'm usually out there every Sunday. I'd love to trail around with you and fish for the Cats. I don't eat much fish but my wife loves Catfish as she is Vietnamese. I'm hoping to get a new trolling motor up grade the Ulterra, and then I gonna have to upgrade my 2 fish finders to the humming bird "Solix 10", and the "Helix 7". Just hoping she will be sympathetic when it comes to spending another $7,000+. I try to explain that fishing is my only remaining vise, and that I do it for my mental health...
    With the Down imaging, and the side Imaging I hope to have a little of an advantage over the fish, of coarse that is if I can learn to set them up and read them.
    Didn't go to the wood today due to the wind forecast and went to Parris instead. Got a giant Goose egg. I posted the days brief activities on the Parris blog.