Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Wohlford Nice Trout 1/18/2020

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wohlford Nice Trout 1/18/2020

Tried out Wohlford today after such great reports from etucker. And the lake rewarded us with some nice 17inch fish. Did our best to follow the advice given on this forum. But I think it rained yesterday so the water was muddy and fish seemed spread out.

Got to the lake early and got a boat. FYI today was supposedly a busy day and motorboats were sold out by 6:45. But there were plenty of shore fishing spots all around the lake.

Headed over to the east end with everyone else. It was pretty packed full of boats but no bites all morning that I could see. We didn't anchor up but there wasn't much movement anyways.

We switched it up and moved over to the west end around 9. First fish came around 9:30AM, second near 11AM. They were both nice 2-3lb fish. One deep with an egg sinker, one up high with a split shot, both on powerbait. On a side note, the lake seems to have a healthy population of shad. There were hundreds of cormorants gorging themselves all around the west end. But I didn't see any cormorants with trout so great on Wohlford for stocking such nice fish.

Wind picked up so we wanted to try drifting the east end between the aerators. We tried middle of lake, north shore, south shore, split shots, egg sinkers, worms. Sadly no bites for us.

It seems like most boats all over the lake got a couple between 9-12AM. Lots of stringers hanging off boats with a few of the same size fish. Guess we should have just stuck it out on the east end all day. Maybe next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200118_aerator.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	52418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200118_cormorants.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	52417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200118_trout.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	52416