Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Wohlford Nice Trout 1/18/2020

Default Wohlford Nice Trout 1/18/2020

Tried out Wohlford today after such great reports from etucker. And the lake rewarded us with some nice 17inch fish. Did our best to follow the advice given on this forum. But I think it rained yesterday so the water was muddy and fish seemed spread out.

Got to the lake early and got a boat. FYI today was supposedly a busy day and motorboats were sold out by 6:45. But there were plenty of shore fishing spots all around the lake.

Headed over to the east end with everyone else. It was pretty packed full of boats but no bites all morning that I could see. We didn't anchor up but there wasn't much movement anyways.

We switched it up and moved over to the west end around 9. First fish came around 9:30AM, second near 11AM. They were both nice 2-3lb fish. One deep with an egg sinker, one up high with a split shot, both on powerbait. On a side note, the lake seems to have a healthy population of shad. There were hundreds of cormorants gorging themselves all around the west end. But I didn't see any cormorants with trout so great on Wohlford for stocking such nice fish.

Wind picked up so we wanted to try drifting the east end between the aerators. We tried middle of lake, north shore, south shore, split shots, egg sinkers, worms. Sadly no bites for us.

It seems like most boats all over the lake got a couple between 9-12AM. Lots of stringers hanging off boats with a few of the same size fish. Guess we should have just stuck it out on the east end all day. Maybe next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200118_aerator.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	52418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200118_cormorants.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	52417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200118_trout.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	52416  

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Tried out Wohlford today after such great reports from etucker. And the lake rewarded us with some nice 17inch fish. Did our best to follow the advice given on this forum. But I think it rained yesterday so the water was muddy and fish seemed spread out.

Got to the lake early and got a boat. FYI today was supposedly a busy day and motorboats were sold out by 6:45. But there were plenty of shore fishing spots all around the lake.

Headed over to the east end with everyone else. It was pretty packed full of boats but no bites all morning that I could see. We didn't anchor up but there wasn't much movement anyways.

We switched it up and moved over to the west end around 9. First fish came around 9:30AM, second near 11AM. They were both nice 2-3lb fish. One deep with an egg sinker, one up high with a split shot, both on powerbait. On a side note, the lake seems to have a healthy population of shad. There were hundreds of cormorants gorging themselves all around the west end. But I didn't see any cormorants with trout so great on Wohlford for stocking such nice fish.

Wind picked up so we wanted to try drifting the east end between the aerators. We tried middle of lake, north shore, south shore, split shots, egg sinkers, worms. Sadly no bites for us.

It seems like most boats all over the lake got a couple between 9-12AM. Lots of stringers hanging off boats with a few of the same size fish. Guess we should have just stuck it out on the east end all day. Maybe next time.
    We went Sunday and it was off for us too! We had 10 bites and for 6 fish for 3 people! One person did get a limit out of our group! (we could talk a lot about that!) Lol However, the fish were great size! Honestly only 1 of our fish was under 2 pounds and the biggest was 3 1/2. The drifting is still the way to go but they were in a slightly different area of the East end! They were in the middle between the 2nd air ratter and last air ratter and towards the cove on the Left. (I think they call it Willow cove) That was the Hot spot on Sunday for sure! Too bad it took us Half the day to figure that out! Lol The Baits that worked for us were corn and chartreuse power bait and pink and white mice tails. (all dipped in Garlic!) The West end of the lake looks so tempting for trout but it's a no go! Stay in the East end or above it for your best chance for trout there! It's the not same Wohlford of the last 3 years, where getting full boat limits are the norm! A new hatchery and some badly timed rains are probably the culprit! But time will tell and I still keep going, but it's not the slam dunk it has been!

Sorry for a semi thread jack, but I couldn't help myself! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-20-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks for all the info.

I think we just totally missed the bite time during early morning. When we came back to the East end, everyone had stringers but didn't before we left.

The fish tasted great. Whichever hatchery Wohlford used has some nice pink salmon-like meat.
    Last edited by Temp; 01-20-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

I think we just totally missed the bite time during early morning. When we came back to the East end, everyone had stringers but didn't before we left.

The fish tasted great. Whichever hatchery Wohlford used has some nice pink salmon-like meat.
    Their using Mount Lassen as SARL would say, "those tasty Sierra Bows!" I'm hoping they might stock some Lighting trout in there because that's the hatchery they come from!