Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1/14/20 report and observation

Default 1/14/20 report and observation

Despite what the Western Outdoor News says, it is S-L-O-W out there. My last 3 outings have netted me a striper or two each morning before sunrise and then nothing. Water is down a few feet and it's clear. Temp is around 53 to 54 degrees. Now, Kwin may want to correct me here, but all the stripers I've caught have been full of roe. That tells me they're in spawn mode and would explain their absence from the main lake. I've heard that stripers don't or can't spawn at Skinner, but nature being what it is, when the females are full of eggs and the males are sperm laden they will at least go through the motions. That being the case I'd expect things to pick up next month.

I'm in agreement with your theory on nature doing what she needs to do to propagate the species. If you've fished Skinner at all, you've seen very small Stripers at certain times of the year. I guess my only question would be, as anyone seen small striper fry? Could they be spawning up the canal the feeds Skinner?
    I would love to hear other theory's on this subject.

As long as the eggs don't sink to the bottom and suffocate they can successfully spawn in any lake. Skinner does have the added incentive of the SD Canal which will likely create enough current to keep the eggs suspended. I've seen juvenile SB in fall surveys so I know they are spawned in lake or get flushed in to Skinner from the SD canal.

Well, that confirms my suspicion as to what the fish are up to and NFCDI's question as to the results. Thanks Kwin!

Mahalo for the report P.A.W.! Interesting theory on what the Stripers are doing. I can't wait to get back out there to try again. Good luck on your next outing.