Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Irvine lake is run by Socialist!

  1. #1

    Default Irvine lake is run by Socialist!

    Here is what I mean about how they are stocking the trout. In the first of 5 stockings everything went right! The trout reacted in the proper way swimming back and forth from the boat docks to the 2nd cove. It was wide open fishing the first week after they stocked in that area and even the 2nd week they bit pretty good! (so they did something right in the first stocking!) In the 2nd stocking they threw all the fish in the lake in the first cove and they had Fair fishing on Friday after they stocked and some good scores on Saturday in the same area. After that it was tough trout fishing and if you got a couple you were doing pretty good!

    Now comes the 3rd stocking of Trout.

    If it was me, I would put my brain to work and try to figure out the best way to stock these things. I guess they did and came up with, "we are going to stock them a little bit every where!" So everyone no mater where they fish, will get an equal opportunity at catching the stocked trout. (at least that's what one of the lake employees said, "about where they stocked them this time") SOCIALISM at it's best!!!! Lol It sounds like a fair way to stock them, but what kind of results will you get by doing it that way? (what they didn't take into consideration is this, "the trout don't like every area of the lake equally!" If the trout don't like the shoreline where they were stocked, they give that area the Fin and swim into the middle of the lake. (where no one has access to them!) Anyone who ever took a boat into Irvine lake under the previous lease holder, knows what I'm talking about!

    So with all that being said "if" my information was correct about where they stocked them. This was the results of the first 2 days of fishing for them after they stocked this week. I did only check the West shoreline, so I can't tell you what happened on the East shoreline. The first 2 stockings they didn't bite there very well. So I kinda doubt it was wide open there! Lol On Friday the trout bit pretty good from the boat dock to the 2nd cove. Several scores of 7-8 fish per stringer were observed! (which is pretty good!) However, on Saturday it didn't repeat itself at all. The same area that produce 7-8 fish per stringer Friday, produced only 1-2 fish per stringer on Saturday! Quite a come down! The other area's as usual, "didn't produce much of anything!" (they never do anyway, so why do they even bother to stock them there?) I doubt it will get any better till the next time they stock. But if anyone goes and has a good score let us know!

    Well what did we do on Friday and Saturday?

    On Friday it was Wham Bam thank you Mam as soon as we got there on Friday! (typical of stocked fish!) We got them to eat corn and chartreuse power bait dipped in garlic the first hour. After that we got them on Night crawlers and Orange Mice tails dipped in Garlic! We ended up with 7 trout and missed a couple of bites for 2 people. Some of the trout were really nice size! We got 2 at 3 1/2 pounds a couple more at 2 pounds and the rest smaller! We went back to the same area Saturday and caught 1 less then a pound trout! We saw a few people catch 1 or 2 on Saturday and that was it! If their not even going to try to figure out the best way to stock these trout, so people can actually catch them. I'll do my trout fishing else where, other then the Friday of the week they stock! I''ll write another report about the place in 2 weeks. If anyone else has a good trip there between now and then. Chime in and let us know about it!

    Tight Lines!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-11-2020 at 05:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Hemet
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Thanks for your report. The last time I was there was years ago trolling on the west side, was interesting to see the landscape of the lake. My wife and I and friends made it out there yesterday after 8:30am, we were not sure where to go but we decided to walk the east trail. The carp guys were killing it, my friend had I hit on NC and that was about it. We moved to one of the picnic benches and tried again for nada. If we make it out again, we'll try the west side - thx for the info, and good luck out there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Here is what I mean about how they are stocking the trout. In the first of 5 stockings everything went right! The trout reacted in the proper way swimming back and forth from the boat docks to the 2nd cove. It was wide open fishing the first week after they stocked in that area and even the 2nd week they bit pretty good! (so they did something right in the first stocking!) In the 2nd stocking they threw all the fish in the lake in the first cove and they had Fair fishing on Friday after they stocked and some good scores on Saturday in the same area. After that it was tough trout fishing and if you got a couple you were doing pretty good!

    Now comes the 3rd stocking of Trout.

    If it was me, I would put my brain to work and try to figure out the best way to stock these things. I guess they did and came up with, "we are going to stock them a little bit every where!" So everyone no mater where they fish, will get an equal opportunity at catching the stocked trout. (at least that's what one of the lake employees said, "about where they stocked them this time") SOCIALISM at it's best!!!! Lol It sounds like a fair way to stock them, but what kind of results will you get by doing it that way? (what they didn't take into consideration is this, "the trout don't like every area of the lake equally!" If the trout don't like the shoreline where they were stocked, they give that area the Fin and swim into the middle of the lake. (where no one has access to them!) Anyone who ever took a boat into Irvine lake under the previous lease holder, knows what I'm talking about!

    So with all that being said "if" my information was correct about where they stocked them. This was the results of the first 2 days of fishing for them after they stocked this week. I did only check the West shoreline, so I can't tell you what happened on the East shoreline. The first 2 stockings they didn't bite there very well. So I kinda doubt it was wide open there! Lol On Friday the trout bit pretty good from the boat dock to the 2nd cove. Several scores of 7-8 fish per stringer were observed! (which is pretty good!) However, on Saturday it didn't repeat itself at all. The same area that produce 7-8 fish per stringer Friday, produced only 1-2 fish per stringer on Saturday! Quite a come down! The other area's as usual, "didn't produce much of anything!" (they never do anyway, so why do they even bother to stock them there?) I doubt it will get any better till the next time they stock. But if anyone goes and has a good score let us know!

    Well what did we do on Friday and Saturday?

    On Friday it was Wham Bam thank you Mam as soon as we got there on Friday! (typical of stocked fish!) We got them to eat corn and chartreuse power bait dipped in garlic the first hour. After that we got them on Night crawlers and Orange Mice tails dipped in Garlic! We ended up with 7 trout and missed a couple of bites for 2 people. Some of the trout were really nice size! We got 2 at 3 1/2 pounds a couple more at 2 pounds and the rest smaller! We went back to the same area Saturday and caught 1 less then a pound trout! We saw a few people catch 1 or 2 on Saturday and that was it! If their not even going to try to figure out the best way to stock these trout, so people can actually catch them. I'll do my trout fishing else where, other then the Friday of the week they stock! I''ll write another report about the place in 2 weeks. If anyone else has a good trip there between now and then. Chime in and let us know about it!

    Tight Lines!
    It's a blessing the lake is even open for fishing period! Where else you gonna fish for a $5 parking fee only and no need for a fishing liscense.
    Maybe you would be happier if the fricken stock truck pulled up to your fishing spot and load the trout into your creel so you would be a happy camper!
    What makes you think that the trout are going to hang in the exact spot, area they were stocked? Of course they're going to swim all over the place. You'll be doing Irvine a favor to stay off the property and go fish anywhere else you please!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    It's a blessing the lake is even open for fishing period! Where else you gonna fish for a $5 parking fee only and no need for a fishing liscense.
    Maybe you would be happier if the fricken stock truck pulled up to your fishing spot and load the trout into your creel so you would be a happy camper!
    What makes you think that the trout are going to hang in the exact spot, area they were stocked? Of course they're going to swim all over the place. You'll be doing Irvine a favor to stay off the property and go fish anywhere else you please!
    Here the thing, I've fished more then most people in the last 15 years. In that time I've learned this, "stocked fish really are pretty predictable!" If you don't believe that do a creel study! (Here is what I mean by that) The West shore is named by the employees into 3 zones. (They call them coves) 1st cove, 2nd cove, and third cove. Count the fish caught in every cove the week they stock it. (the employees are walking the shore line several times a day any way!) If you find in their 3 day's of being open the counts look something like this: 1st cove 30 trout caught, 2nd cove 100 trout caught and the 3rd cove 250 trout caught. Why would you even bother stocking the first cove? It's not that hard! It's called statistical analysis!

    The County is spending a lot of money to stock these trout! ($24,000 a pop!) Don't you think the County would want to make the anglers happy, by getting the best results they could! Or why bother????

    p.s. If they allowed boating in the lake it wouldn't matter where they stocked. The boats would find them and everyone would just dog pile the area! But that's not the case! So it's important for "Somebody to figure this out!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-12-2020 at 03:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    623

    Default

    You still don't make a bit of sense! There's a reason it's called fishing! And not catching. What do you expect of the county or any entity that stocks trout to do? Train the fish to stay in specific area's so you can catch every one of them?
    Let's say they stock at the very precise location that you deem to be perfect. You think those schools of stockers are going to stay put and not roam the lake. Common these fish are not going to be in any exact location for more than a second no matter where they decide to stock the fish. I actually heard that Friday was very good fishing just to the right of the launch ramp so something is working.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    You still don't make a bit of sense! There's a reason it's called fishing! And not catching. What do you expect of the county or any entity that stocks trout to do? Train the fish to stay in specific area's so you can catch every one of them?
    Let's say they stock at the very precise location that you deem to be perfect. You think those schools of stockers are going to stay put and not roam the lake. Common these fish are not going to be in any exact location for more than a second no matter where they decide to stock the fish. I actually heard that Friday was very good fishing just to the right of the launch ramp so something is working.
    You do realize people in high places are reading this so a lively discussion is good! Lol I Love the fishing is not catching argument! I use to fish over 100 times a year in the public lakes and ponds! (I don't any more because they don't stock them any more like they use too.) But when I did, I observed many things. The first thing is, "if they don't stock the lakes people won't come!" (only a few hardcore Bass fishermen will still fish the lakes) So if people aren't catching they won't show up! Think of all the 605 lakes. Santa Fe Dam, Peck Park lake, Legg lake and El Dorado park lake. The only people who fish them regularly are Bass guy's unless they stock them. Stock them well or have a derby and the crowds are huge. No stockings and nobody there but those hardcore Bass guy's! So that argument of it's fishing and not catching, unless your a hardcore Bass guy doesn't work!

    In reopening of Irvine Lake really falls on one persons shoulders. (Supervisor Wagner) If it wasn't for him that lake I guarantee would still be closed! When you leave Irvine Lake by the exit it has a sign that say's, I hope you enjoyed your time at Irvine lake and it was Supervisor Wagner to thank for this! Not those exact words but that's what it means! Lol So I guarantee Supervisor Wagner wants the anglers to catch those trout and not just sun bath on the shoreline. I've missed fishing Irvine only 2 weeks since they reopened the place, so I know what I'm talking about. The last couple of months before they stocked trout it was pretty quite there. A typical Friday had only a dozen cars there when they opened. (the Catfishing was still off the hook but only in a couple of places) Now with the trout in there, it's a zoo! People are there to catch the trout and in the first stocking the lake delivered! Since then it's been a little disappointing!

    So why not try to do the best job they can to make sure the anglers can catch the fish!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    623

    Default

    How pray tell are they going to figure a way to stock the trout in such precise manner that guarantees all fisherman to catch fish?
    I assume you would be happy if the stock truck would message you prior to stocking so you can give them the exact coordinates to stock the trout so you're guaranteed to catch your limits.

    It's a plain and simple fact that there is no guarantee you or any other fisherman are going to catch fish regardless where they stock the fish.

    Some days you catch em without even trying, go right back the next day, same spot, same technique and you get zero! It's just they way it works. Fish will be fish and roam wherever they feel free to do.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    How pray tell are they going to figure a way to stock the trout in such precise manner that guarantees all fisherman to catch fish?
    I assume you would be happy if the stock truck would message you prior to stocking so you can give them the exact coordinates to stock the trout so you're guaranteed to catch your limits.

    It's a plain and simple fact that there is no guarantee you or any other fisherman are going to catch fish regardless where they stock the fish.

    Some days you catch em without even trying, go right back the next day, same spot, same technique and you get zero! It's just they way it works. Fish will be fish and roam wherever they feel free to do.
    Let me use my Lake Wohlford example and then I'll go to Irvine. (anyone who fishes lake Wohlford knows this is true) They stock the fish at Lake Wohlford at the boat ramp by the boat docks. They linger around there for a day or two. (The spot is named Boat dock cove) Now the trout have 3 choices in the coming day's. The can stay where they are or go East into very shallow water (6 feet deep) or go West into deep water 35 feet deep. Guess what they always do in the 4 years I've been fishing there? They go East into the shallow water "EVERY TIME!" It's not random where one week they go East and the next week they go west!

    Or they stay by the Boat docks the whole time! The same thing at Irvine Lake! They catch 70% of the stocked trout between the Boat Docks and the 2nd cove! It's just that obvious!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-12-2020 at 07:55 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Let me use my Lake Wohlford example and then I'll go to Irvine. (anyone who fishes lake Wohlford knows this is true) They stock the fish at Lake Wohlford at the boat ramp by the boat docks. They linger around there for a day or two. (The spot is named Boat dock cove) Now the trout have 3 choices in the coming day's. The can stay where they are or go East into very shallow water (6 feet deep) or go West into deep water 35 feet deep. Guess what they always do in the 4 years I've been fishing there? They go East into the shallow water "EVERY TIME!" It's not random where one week they go East and the next week they go west!

    Or they stay by the Boat docks the whole time! The same thing at Irvine Lake! They catch 70% of the stocked trout between the Boat Docks and the 2nd cove! It's just that obvious!
    Conditions and patterns change by the hour. You keep believing what you believe Tuck man!
    Not every trout batch planted are going to act the same as ones previous, or in the future.

    I say the Largemouth amd Catfish eat every trout planted before you even get a chance to hit the banks.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    Conditions and patterns change by the hour. You keep believing what you believe Tuck man!
    Not every trout batch planted are going to act the same as ones previous, or in the future.

    I say the Largemouth amd Catfish eat every trout planted before you even get a chance to hit the banks.
    I talked to another person on another fishing website who was there today. He called today's fishing mediocre! So this batch of trout didn't do a whole lot to fill the belly's of the anglers that persude them! Maybe they just got Lucky on the first plant and the fish co operated perfectly! Or maybe they don't as I suggested have a clue on where to stock the fish. This all might be a mute point for next year. For maybe just maybe they bring back boating to Irvine Lake. (then we can hunt these guy's down properly) I hear the God father of the lake (supervisor Wagner) would like to see boating brought back to Irvine. We can just keep our fingers crossed on that one!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-13-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •