Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Salty Swimbait Donkey 1-11-19 Crystal River

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Salty Swimbait Donkey 1-11-19 Crystal River

Caught a pig today. Showed up and starting casting along the way to my spot. I saw another car there and I kept hearing splashing.
    Thought it was another angler in his waders, didn't sound big, just a swoosh and a woosh every now and again. Sounding exactly like somebody in their waders in the tidal river.
    They were near my spot, so I kept inching closer to see if I could see anybody. I finally made it all the way to my spot and didn't see anyone. So I'm casting my lil Vudu Mullet swimbait and trying to keep it near the surface so I don't lose it. All the sudden I see the source of the sound. Mullets running for their life and a big old fish busting them to pieces.
    I looked down in my hand at the mullet swimbait and giggled. I knew what was about to happen.

I cast the 4.5" Vudu Mullet straight into the boil back in the creek. The moon was up. The sun wasn't up yet. It was grey light. I pretty much knew it was going to be on.

Thump,... THUD! *rod starts to double over, so I lift a few inches to pop the hoook through the lip and lean back getting ready for the ride*
    Zip zing boom the fish jumps all over and tries to ditch me on the structures up the bank into the current. I didn't even let him pull drag this time. I just let him swim into the current around the bank and right up into a cut out of the current and grabbed his lip, then hit record on my phone. The following is what you see in the video:
    He was fresh out the water and VERY ANGRY he didn't get to eat that mullet. Shredding my fingers to pieces.

https://youtu.be/HIDh_BrTn8k

I caught some more fish as well. I couple trout and a flounder (I was actually going for a flounder so that was great!) while bouncing super flukes on the bottom with some flounder jigging techniques I learned last night on youtube. This one was a bit bigger than my last, but he came unbuttoned at my feet. Would rather that, then have to unhook him and rape him with my hands before I throw them back anyway. We all seen a flounder!

I also got a little tiny trout on the Unfair Lures Suspending Shrimp 85. That thing is actually pretty cool. It sinks really slow and when you pop it, it flies back and up like a real shrimp. When you give it slack, it actually travels away from you back out into the water. So for a suspending crankbait you can get a really long time to work each cast from it because it keeps gliding back away from you after you pop it. Have to see to understand. the youtube videos don't do it justice. Neat idea, but maybe not a bait for giant fishes. Who knows..

Super good times. Short video today, lots of mumbling as usual. I love Saltwater.
    I'll be back soon. I thought this fish was 26" and a slot sized fish, but I was wrong. It was the same size as my last donkey snook at 24".
    I hope I can find a keeper before I leave. I have a few ideas how I might make that happen.... at night... while the moon is up.....
    Stay tuned
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 01-11-2020 at 01:34 PM.