Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Silly question

Default Silly question

So I need to replace my winch and strap. The original winch comes with 2 hooks, 1 hook to the boat ring and the other hook to the trailer. I have been shopping on amazon for a couple of days now trying to find the best one. Virtually every boat winch that I have viewed has only the 1 hook that connects to the boat ring. They do not come with a safety hook from the winch to the trailer. Question - Do I need the second "Safety hook", which would basically require me to buy a whole other strap with the 2 hooks sewn in? on my old boat there was a chain that attached to the trailer and then to the bow ring. This boat does not have enough room for that application. I find it very strange that virtually all the winch's that come with the straps have only the primary hook. Any answers out there?

Try bass pro shop the service center not bass pro that is what I have on my boat.

Thanh you. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to get my trailer serviced. The tires are wearing rapidly on the inside. Although I had never heard of getting the trailer aligned... That is what I am looking at.

I have a separate chain that goes from the trailer to the bow ring. As far as your tires go, have you checked the pressure. I don't know what tires you have, but boat trailer tires normally require upwards around 50 pounds. Low pressure will cause wearing on the outside edges of the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Durdy Daug View Post
    So I need to replace my winch and strap. The original winch comes with 2 hooks, 1 hook to the boat ring and the other hook to the trailer. I have been shopping on amazon for a couple of days now trying to find the best one. Virtually every boat winch that I have viewed has only the 1 hook that connects to the boat ring. They do not come with a safety hook from the winch to the trailer. Question - Do I need the second "Safety hook", which would basically require me to buy a whole other strap with the 2 hooks sewn in? on my old boat there was a chain that attached to the trailer and then to the bow ring. This boat does not have enough room for that application. I find it very strange that virtually all the winch's that come with the straps have only the primary hook. Any answers out there?
    Just received my new Fulton F2 winch. This comes with 1 hook on the winch strap. I have no room for a hook and chain @ the boat ring, therefore I bought another Winch strap from amazon that has a second hook sewn into the main line that I can attach to my trailer. I lose 4 feet of strap length as the original from Fulton comes with a 20 foot strap and the replacement that I just ordered comes with a 16 foot strap. I just hope that the width of the new strap is 2 inches like the original. With the new strap I will have confidence in towing my boat.
    Incidentally, my tracker boat has cost me a whole lot of money this past 2 months... I had to have the cover replaced with a custom cover for $1,000, The man said the original cover that came with the bout had a life expectancy of 3 years... How funny... The boat is a 2016. Next: The seats started to tear and crack... Cost $1,000 for re upholstery. Next the transom retractable straps stopped retracting or releasing without a hard pounding, another $80 to Fulton for new transom straps. and Finally the winch locking hook broke and now I cant properly secure the boat. Last week while attempting to get the boat off the trailer, the hook came loose and the boat started to drift away... Luckily I had knee high insulated boots on and was subsequently able to climb on to the boat and dock it, and then move the truck.
    I'm beginning to think that all the parts on the boat are good for only 3 years.