Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: I was a little over confidence at Lake Wohlford.

Default I was a little over confidence at Lake Wohlford.

I was not expecting to fish Lake Wohlford this week. I was going to pound Irvine lake instead because it was a stock week there. (it didn't work out so well there, so here I am) I fished Lake Wohlford really hard the last 3 years with tremendous results. (so my confidence was at an all time high!) I had some warning signs that I ignored that I shouldn't have about the fishing. They didn't stock as many fish this time in the 2nd week of the season and their now using a different hatchery. I also missed reading my W.O.N. till after I got home from the trip. It said opening weekend the fishing was tougher then before. Plus it was an Sunday 4 day's away from the stock. Had I taken all that into consideration, I wouldn't have arrived at 11:00 am to fish. (they close at 4:30 pm)

Don't get me wrong we got our limits of trout for 3 people barely!

We started off doing the usual thing of drifting in the East end of the lake. We weren't really sure what these trout wanted best! This is the 3rd hatchery in 4 years at the place and every hatchery the fish like things a little different. So we were experimenting the first half of the trip. I'll just tell you the results of what we found. They like power bait much better then power mice by far! The 3 best colors are corn, rainbow with garlic and that light green natural with garlic infused. (we did dip them all in Bite on Garlic)

We didn't have much wind to work with so that didn't help our drifting at all. Here's the good news, the trout are really nice size and very colorful! I would say most of them are 2-3 pounds and we did get 1 #5 pounder. All of the fish we caught were just above the last air ratter to the buoy's in the East end. Next time I go, I'm going to make a day of it, so I can try many other area's I've caught fish in before. Plus early in the season you can still catch a few catfish to boot!

The only thing I'm worried about this year is the rains! (it looks to be a wet winter) That blows the lake out and the trout fishing is no bueno then!

Till the next time, Tight lines!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-24-2019 at 08:27 AM.