Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Why is nobody catching fish off the dam?

Default Why is nobody catching fish off the dam?

I used to catch a lot of fish off the shore off the dam. I haven't heard or read about any action from that area of the lake. What gives? It's close to deepwater with plenty of cover and food (crawfish and bait fish). This used to be a great time to catch big spotted bass. I'm at a loss. Thanks to the guy that last posted about the world record bass. We as fishermen need to do a better job posting helpful information for our fellow brethren.
    Last edited by Backtofishing2; 12-24-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Hello Backtofishing. I have some information about this topic, at least from my perspective.

I don't know how long it has been since you have fished the dam at Perris Lake, but you probably remember the two fishing piers there. Well, they both blew away in the wind and were never replaced, and since most people who went to the dam fished from them (which made the best fishing platforms and fishing access without being too snaggy), most people stopped fishing there. I have tried the dam a few times since then, but found it very snaggy around the bottom where most of the fish are. I tried fishing using bobbers to stay out of the snags but it wasn't as successful. I have had better luck around Sail Cove and the replacement pier which was built at Sail Cove.

Also, the lower water levels have probably been a deterrent. They were brought back up for a year or so, then lowered again. I am not sure if the water is being raised all the way up again now or not. Anyway, having low water levels for so many years had a deleterious affect on the fishing eventually. The fishing suddenly improved when the water was high, but when it was lowered this fall, the fish apparently headed for the middle of the lake for the most part or just didn't want to bite.

Oh, the world record bass reference was a joke to get peoples' attention.

Default Thanks for the insight. I've fished it a couple of times earlier this year and lost a

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Hello Backtofishing. I have some information about this topic, at least from my perspective.

I don't know how long it has been since you have fished the dam at Perris Lake, but you probably remember the two fishing piers there. Well, they both blew away in the wind and were never replaced, and since most people who went to the dam fished from them (which made the best fishing platforms and fishing access without being too snaggy), most people stopped fishing there. I have tried the dam a few times since then, but found it very snaggy around the bottom where most of the fish are. I tried fishing using bobbers to stay out of the snags but it wasn't as successful. I have had better luck around Sail Cove and the replacement pier which was built at Sail Cove.

Also, the lower water levels have probably been a deterrent. They were brought back up for a year or so, then lowered again. I am not sure if the water is being raised all the way up again now or not. Anyway, having low water levels for so many years had a deleterious affect on the fishing eventually. The fishing suddenly improved when the water was high, but when it was lowered this fall, the fish apparently headed for the middle of the lake for the most part or just didn't want to bite.

Oh, the world record bass reference was a joke to get peoples' attention.
    Tackle and a parking ticket in the process. The One bait I could fish fairly easily was a soft jerk bait but caught no fish doing it. Also tried topwater with no luck. I've had way better luck at the east end which is also pretty snaggy. Anyway thanks for the reply and good luck.

I went to parris on Saturday the 28th, fished from 6 - 9. Fished the east end and then at the dam. The weather was cold but no wind. Fish were not biting anywhere so I trailered the boat and went to Silverwood. Silverwood was extremely cold but I had an epic day of fishing for the strippers at the spillway. I think that perhaps I will not attempt parris until March or so. Any suggestions when the LMB will be biting there at Parris? March or April?

Quote Originally Posted by Durdy Daug View Post
    I went to parris on Saturday the 28th, fished from 6 - 9. Fished the east end and then at the dam. The weather was cold but no wind. Fish were not biting anywhere so I trailered the boat and went to Silverwood. Silverwood was extremely cold but I had an epic day of fishing for the strippers at the spillway. I think that perhaps I will not attempt parris until March or so. Any suggestions when the LMB will be biting there at Parris? March or April?
    I have been at Perris a lot and the bass are biting, they are slow but biting. I was there for a couple of hours yesterday and got 2 that were 2.5lbs and one that was 4lbs. I have been having luck around rock in anywhere from 10-30 feet. Jig, Ned rig and drop shot is what has been working for me.

I have been wanting to take the kids up to Silverwood to try for stripers but I am not familiar with the lake or techniques that work so we almost always end up at Perris chasing bass since it is so close.