Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Attn: Quinn.... question

Default Attn: Quinn.... question

I was just leaving about the time the shock boat was launching on Thursday. I'm curious what results you folks were seeing? I've heard tell of larger shad than in years past.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 11-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    I was just leaving about the time the shock boat was launching on Thursday. I'm curious what results you folks were seeing? I've heard tell of larger shad than in years past.
    We weren't out electrofishing, we were using underwater cameras to "habitat type" certain locations to see what if any fishery habitat exists deeper than the edge of the tules...it was also boat handling practice for my Sci Aides to get then comfortable with operating/launching the boat on their own.

There are larger shad than Skinner has ever had. It's also an invasive species that grow up to 20" long and will play another role in regulating the amount of sportfish in the lake and degraded water quality. The lake now has an established population of Gizzard Shad that came in with the Colorado River water. They will compete with all other species dependent upon zooplankton and re-suspend nutrients into the water column creating more intense algal blooms with conditions that will favor Cyanobacteria in all likelihood. The attached photo is one of three we collected recently that were bigger than 90% of the LMB and 45% of the SB we collected in the same survey.

It will be interesting to see how these affect the fishery....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	52328  

Thank you sir! Man, I hate to see our little Lake Skinner beset with these obstacles. The larger stripers and LMB won't be able to dent their population much I guess.

Wow that Gizzard shad looks like a football!

Reviving an old Post - kwin, if you're monitoring this situation - any update on the Gizzard shad situation at Skinner?
    Have you done any eletroshock or camera surveys recently?
    Thanks in advance for any info available!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Seeker View Post
    Reviving an old Post - kwin, if you're monitoring this situation - any update on the Gizzard shad situation at Skinner?
    Have you done any eletroshock or camera surveys recently?
    Thanks in advance for any info available!
    they're still there. I sampled 21 of them in the fall survey. They were all 17-20.5 inches long.

Thanks for the reply and info.
    Have you attributed any impact, neg or pos, on the other species because of them over the last couple of years ?
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Seeker View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info.
    Have you attributed any impact, neg or pos, on the other species because of them over the last couple of years ?
    Thanks again!
    Of all of the many variables in play I can't single any direct impacts to the fishery as yet. I know anglers are throwing more shad like swimbaits at Skinner now that it is known they are there.

Tiger Muskies. Perfect predator, they get the job done. You won't have to worry about them over populating the lake either ; their sterile like me.

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    Tiger Muskies. Perfect predator, they get the job done. You won't have to worry about them over populating the lake either ; their sterile like me.
    That's just what we need, another predator in Skinner. I'm old enough to remember catching crappie ai Skinner.