Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: My Favorite Surf Fishing Rig!

Default My Favorite Surf Fishing Rig!

Casting Both Okuma Rigs While Trying To Stay Away From Baby Jack "Rats"!

My intent today was to put the new Blue Azores 8K & the new Cedros 12' Surf Rod through the paces. The rods are rated for 2-4oz but i used a 3oz lead bank that was a bit on the light side. A 4oz seemed perfect. I feel these Surf Rods need to be re-rated for 3-6oz. They're a lot sturdier then the ratings say it is. Using the Azores 65 & Blue Azores 8K spinners are a great match. A 6K Spinner has worked well but i feel it's on the small size for these rods.

I also use these 2 spinners on the shorter 11' Cedros Surf Rod. It's the sturdier Heavy edition. Last year i held a large GT on a 11' H Cedros Surf Rod using this same Azores 65 Spinner. Fought it for over 40min before it dove into structure to cut the line. For the shallows i love the balance & feel of these combos. I can cast far & have faith in their power. These are my favorite shallow water Surf Casting rigs. I have 300yd of 50lb braid backing to 10yd of 40lb mono top shot as my shock leader.

For the past week small Jacks are all over the Islands. Known locally as Papio these rats are chasing other fish away to swarm the baits. This is my 3rd spot in a week that was dominated by these Rats. My friend in Kauai Joe Olivas has told me the same is happening there. Every November.

I tried using larger hooks to thicker line but it didn't help. Plus this week has full bright moon nights, A week after the full moon the fishing should be better. I wanted to stay but a stray dog visited me & left. But an hour he came back so i shared my lunch with him. I called the number on his tag so had to go meet his owner. Plus got a push notification of my new back-up video unit arriving this afternoon. My main unit suffered a complete audio loss. So i was forced to use my YI LITE but the audio was very soft. My new back-up is a YI 4K. Have to keep videoing until i can get my main unit repaired or replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QCSwwo2cGY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover-Fav.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	52323  

That was interesting. It's a good thing you were able to get the dog back to its owner, you did a good thing.

When he first came to me, his owner was running behind him. An hour latter the doggie came back but no owner. So i gave him my lunch & water & called the number on his collar. The owner treated me to lunch afterwards since Max ate mine:)