Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holdover Trout fishery basically dead at DVL?

Default Holdover Trout fishery basically dead at DVL?

I remember reading a few years back and seeing pics of beautiful holdovers caught at DVL. Aside from the stockings is trout fishing a worthy endeavor? I rarely read anything about it on this site for sure. Then again, there's not many of any kind on FN like there used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by IE fisherman View Post
    I remember reading a few years back and seeing pics of beautiful holdovers caught at DVL. Aside from the stockings is trout fishing a worthy endeavor? I rarely read anything about it on this site for sure. Then again, there's not many of any kind on FN like there used to be.
    We tried pretty hard last year for the trout and had ZERO Luck! Their is better lakes then this one for trout, but don't let me steer you away! Lol Let me give it to you straight. In many close cheap fishing lakes, you have to deal with the Land sharks! (what's a Land shark?) A Land shark is someone who gimmicks the system so they get an disproportion amount of fish for themselves. (they are willing to do a lot to get it!) If you wanted to keep up with the Land sharks at DVL here's what you would have to do! Find the day they stock and get in line 12 hours before they open the following day. (you must get one of the few coveted spots) You must also be willing to snag your fish if necessary! You must also be willing to go into combat mode and fight the other anglers while chasing the schools around! If you are willing to do all that? You too can get your picture taken with a bunch of fish after they stock! If not, you are just re lying on pure luck to find them! Good Luck with that! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-07-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Yeah those hold over trout were pretty cool, caught a few myself, they even had a couple of guys who ran guide Trips to target then.
    Everyone blames the influx of stripper for the decline of those beautiful trout.

Cya Tuna Vic

Yes...the holdover potential for trout is gone due to there being insufficient to no oxygen below the thermocline in the cooler water trout need to survive during the warmer water periods of the year. The absence of oxygen is due to decomposition (which uses up oxygen) of the terrestrial brush and algal bloom die off that sinks into the depths below the thermocline. The water stuck below the thermocline during stratification cannot mix with oxygenated water above until the surface waters cool during turnover...but that only lasts about a month or two until the lake begins to stratify again.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Yes...the holdover potential for trout is gone due to there being insufficient to no oxygen below the thermocline in the cooler water trout need to survive during the warmer water periods of the year. The absence of oxygen is due to decomposition (which uses up oxygen) of the terrestrial brush and algal bloom die off that sinks into the depths below the thermocline. The water stuck below the thermocline during stratification cannot mix with oxygenated water above until the surface waters cool during turnover...but that only lasts about a month or two until the lake begins to stratify again.
    Here is a question to all the scientific explanation of why their is no more holdover trout. In the first 5 years of the lake being open to the public for fishing, the trout had no problem surviving in the Hot summer months. (it also must just been a coincidence that the Stripers haven't taken over yet) So what changed after 5 years so the trout couldn't survive the summer months. (you ruled out the Stripers had nothing to do with it!) So these same stratification problems didn't exist in the first 5 years? If they didn't exist, is their any way to reverse the effects on the lake and get it back to the way it was in the first 5 years?
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-09-2019 at 12:47 AM.

I tell you. I could use an influx of strippers myself. Lol. It's too bad about DVL because it was supposed to be the premiere fishery for everything when it was built. Instead, no one talks about it as the go to place anymore. I'm not so sure on that thermocline theory. It's not the only lake that deals with that algae. I used to catch some nice holdovers at Lake Perris too in the summer months around the dam. That's funny, stripers infested Lake Perris too. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Here is a question to all the scientific explanation of why their is no more holdover trout. In the first 5 years of the lake being open to the public for fishing, the trout had no problem surviving in the Hot summer months. (it also must just been a coincidence that the Stripers haven't taken over yet) So what changed after 5 years so the trout couldn't survive the summer months. (you ruled out the Stripers had nothing to do with it!) So these same stratification problems didn't exist in the first 5 years? If they didn't exist, is their any way to reverse the effects on the lake and get it back to the way it was in the first 5 years?
    After 6 years since filling, MWD no longer pumped in Colorado River water (quagga mussels) that both dilute the hyper-nutrient rich Delta water that causes the large algae blooms (still does...ask Silverwood & Perris about harmful algal blooms) and provides another source of water to minimize fluctuations during drought conditions that cause the lake levels to go down and allow terrestrial brush to grow in excess. Because of the consistently poor water quality parameters, a management decision was made to also stop stocking tens of thousands of sub-catchable trout that was done annually up until 2009-10 as “put and grow”. If the water quality parameters are insufficient to support trout, it is a waste of hatchery resources to raise and stock trout for that purpose.
    Last edited by kwin; 11-10-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    We tried pretty hard last year for the trout and had ZERO Luck! Their is better lakes then this one for trout, but don't let me steer you away! Lol Let me give it to you straight. In many close cheap fishing lakes, you have to deal with the Land sharks! (what's a Land shark?) A Land shark is someone who gimmicks the system so they get an disproportion amount of fish for themselves. (they are willing to do a lot to get it!) If you wanted to keep up with the Land sharks at DVL here's what you would have to do! Find the day they stock and get in line 12 hours before they open the following day. (you must get one of the few coveted spots) You must also be willing to snag your fish if necessary! You must also be willing to go into combat mode and fight the other anglers while chasing the schools around! If you are willing to do all that? You too can get your picture taken with a bunch of fish after they stock! If not, you are just re lying on pure luck to find them! Good Luck with that! Lol
    And generally a land shark is either someone out of work or a 22 year old kid who has time to get out there and wait in line 12 hours before opening on a week day with no job to report to or wife to answer to. In my younger day I was a stock chaser, but targeting the big bass and stripers. Did it for a few years and each year was consistently bring a different shore trout chasing crew as old crews either got jobs or married off and were replaced by new crews,,...
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 11-11-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    And generally a land shark is either someone out of work or a 22 year old kid who has time to get out there and wait in line 12 hours before opening on a week day with no job to report to or wife to answer to. In my younger day I was a stock chaser, but targeting the big bass and stripers. Did it for a few years and each year was consistently bring a different shore trout chasing crew as old crews either got jobs or married off and were replaced by new crews,,...
    Every lake the Land sharks are a little different. I ran into many older people too, who were definitely Land sharks. They don't spend the night in front of the lake waiting for it to open. But they more or the less find away to dominant the fishing scene by one way or the other. I now make it a policy not to write reports about lakes that are filled with Land sharks. It's not fair to write a glowing report about something and then give a caveat. Sorry you family people, the lake is so infested with Land sharks, you are just wasting your time to try to repeat my success.

[QUOTE=etucker1959;802309]Every lake the Land sharks are a little different. I ran into many older people too, who were definitely Land sharks. They don't spend the night in front of the lake waiting for it to open. But they more or the less find away to dominant the fishing scene by one way or the other. I now make it a policy not to write reports about lakes that are filled with Land sharks. It's not fair to write a glowing report about something and then give a caveat. Sorry you family people, the lake is so infested with Land sharks, you are just wasting your time to try to repeat my success.[/QUOTE

I don't fish any of the "land shark "bucket brigade" infested pay lakes much. BCK IN THE DAY I use to go to Corona lake, but the lake was so crowded during the trout season you could jump from boat to boat to get across the lake, back again, and around again. I did notice a lot of the "hero" pics in the tackle shop were the same guys....stringers of anything and everything and a lot of them. It was sort of feast or famine out there. Regular joys WOULD CATCH 95% WHILE newbies stood around and watched in awe as the pros snagged,,ahh...I mean caught hordes of fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast