Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Working on halibut ratio

Default Working on halibut ratio

The conditions haven’t been better and when a meeting was canceled and the swell was absent, I went straight to the hole that has been producing halibut. The ratio of legals to shorts hasn’t been good for a while, so when I hooked up after 10 min and couple of missed hits and the fish didn’t fight hard, I leisurely worked it to shore. I was ready for in-water release and reached for pliers.

Then I took a quick look through crystal clear water-it looked bigger than expected. I was wading in 2 ft of water with rocks behind me (not the best place to land on high tide), so, very gently I walked the hali with minimal pull, (like a mellow dog on leash) about 200 ft and I found a sandy patch and slid the fish on it.
    Nice 28” incher. Expecting folks in town I got hali into a bag and drove home to fillet it and put in fridge. Possibly my shortest session yet..
    Enjoy the weekend while conditions last and have fun out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hali 10-31 2.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	52309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hali 10-31.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	52310  

Very nice!
    I almost forgot what one looked like.
    Sometimes the big ones just lay there and don't put up a struggle.

Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><

If you get a chance to get in the surf - it seems like the good time to get them : I went to a similar/new spot today and got 3 shorts (one near legal). It is nice not to worry about swell as waves are 1-2 ft , only problem was a lot of floating veggies, which is what you get close to rocks but it is worth it. Still warm, clear and a tons of small bait.

Nice catch!

Nicely done!

When cleaning it - make sure to check for worms. I found in the few that I caught from the surf.