Today’s I’d like to share with you a technique on dough bait that will help you hook bigger fish. After I shared my video on homemade dough baits for carp and catfish, some folks have already caught larger fish. One question I got recently is how to keep the dough bait on the hook and I've created a youtube video on the solution:

This technique is not only applicable for carp fishing, but also applicable for other species such as catfish. The same techniques worked in several lakes in San Diego, Houston, Dallas and many lakes in China as well. If you’re interested, please check my previous video clips and blog posts.

This technique consists of 3 parts. The first part is to make a small bait ball, like the kernel of Chinese dates. The bait ball covers the whole hook, in order to get more bits from the bigger fish that is smart and shy of exposed hooks.

The second part is to swing out the bait ball. It’s like pitching a lure. Avoiding the sudden acceleration and deceleration in a cast, the swing allow soft entry into the water and helps to keep the form of the bait ball. This step is important and let’s take a look from a different angle.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disolved_dough.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	52279

The third part is to make sure the bait balls fall into the same area for consecutive casts every 3 to 5 minutes. I try to confine them in a small area like the size of bucket. Why this? Let me explain with this illustration. When fishing with two hooks, I typically put worm on top and the bait ball on bottom. The bait ball will dissolve a little into the water over time. If we cast all over the places, the fish may just bite the leftover bait and run away. The confined casts helps to drive big fish to a small area. When the big fishes come close, they typically cannot resist the worm. Then it’s your turn to reel them in.

This technique helped us hook many big fishes and I hope you hook some bigger ones as well.