Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Help with what kind of Sabiki to buy

Default Help with what kind of Sabiki to buy

Hello Fellow Fisherman,

Wanting to take my daughter to Newport pier to catch some mackerel.
    She catches blugail and loves it. I think she might be hooked if she catches something biggger.
    Any recommendations? Also where to buy. Will post pics if we are successful.

Thanks and tight lines,

I'd advise you to just flyline or splitshot a chunk of mackerel/shrimp. If you're expecting to bait up the sabiki there will be less bites than if you use a lighter rig like flyline and 6lb test. Kids aren't looking to fill a bucket catching 4 at a time, just get bit and bringing them in. It'll also be easier on you unhooking and untangling. In general the guys sitting with baited sabikis have no idea what they are doing.

If you want to get a lot of mackerel/ bonito then I'd say size 6 is good. Working unbaited Sabiki takes a lot of movement. Sometimes you can get by dropping straight up and down jigging. But most times nowadays it requires long casts (underhand, don't be that guy overhand casting on the pier) and furious jigging+reeling on the surface. I'd advise a 2 ounce sinker so you can work it the right speed. Also the larger sinker gets tangled less.
    Last edited by Temp; 10-26-2019 at 05:54 PM.