Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Live Crab Works Over Frozen Squid "Ika"!

Default Live Crab Works Over Frozen Squid "Ika"!

Cannot Beat Live Bait! But No Table Fare For Tonight:(

I decided to use my Spydro Underwater Camera today. Water clarity was very poor due to the extreme full moon tides stirring-up the bottom. So on my Cedros 11' Surf Rod w/Surf 8K spinner i mounted my Spydro Camera using frozen squid "Ika" as a starting point before i went scrounging for live bait.

My live bait rig consisted of my HCS 9'6" Shoreline Plugger rod w/a Rockaway 6K spinner. It was an extreme minus tide so collecting live rock crabs was fairly easy though the soft mud was like quick sand. This area only allowed for 2 rods per person so i stuck to live crabs as my preferred bait. Within minutes i got a baby Hammerhead Shark which i released. Latter in the day got a Burrfish "Porcupine Fish". Ok, the ika wasn'r working so i swapped that frozen bait out for a live crab. Bingo, another baby Hammerhead. This shows that live bait will always do better then frozen dead baits. Figures i got that last Hammerhead after the Spydro unit ran out of power. Next time i'll start with the Spydro rig first using live bait.

Though i released everything i failed in producing sought after edible fare to give away. Considering the murky conditions, extreme tides & the storm that rolled in soaking me to the bone & causing island flooding alerts it was nice just to get a bit darker again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EftQ2tqkBAc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Live Bait.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	52246  

Thanks Chris,I’m sure some of those techniques would work in the surf here in So Cal. Wtg on releasing the by catch instead of just throwing them on the bank and letting them die,we need to respect the resources!

Cya Tuna Vic

What do you mostly target surf casting?

I don’t surf fish much as many other guys do,but when I do it’s usually barred perch,Bass (calico and sandbass)halibut,ect ect

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks for the report. Keep posting your adventures I enjoy your posts. I have never seen a live hammerhead shark, must be fun CPR.
    TL's
    jig-guy/Bill