Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch more and bigger perch, guaranteed!!!

Default Catch more and bigger perch, guaranteed!!!

Not gonna mince words - our in-shore fisheries are over-fished. Don’t believe me? Ask any local old enough to remember the 60s.

So, the reality is; either you are part of the problem or part of the solution.

I’m not a catch-and-release zealot. Do what you want (only Bigfoot can judge you.)

If what you want to do is conserve by selective harvest, I have some information that may be of interest to you.

The gender of barred surf perch can be easily determined.

Here’s how:

Male barred surf perch have a pronounced notch in their anal fin. It is a reproductive adaptation.

Can you see it?

Female barred surf perch DO NOT have this notch.

Dig it?

Now, I’m no scientist, but even I know this basic fact: A single male can mate with multiple females. Therefore, removing a male(s) only from a population, over time, will have less of an impact on over-all numbers than removing males and females or females only.

So, if you think it might be cool for your grandkids to know what a barred perch over 10” looks like, well, you just might wanna try throwin’ the mamas back once in a while.

I am not sorry if this offends you.
    Last edited by webmaster; 11-22-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: images saved to FNN server

Thanks good information.

I always make sure to release pregnant female perch.... after I squeeze all the live young into my mouth.

Thanks City Dad, Great info! Got any similar info & pics of other surf fish species?

Quote Originally Posted by Homefish View Post
    Thanks City Dad, Great info! Got any similar info & pics of other surf fish species?
    If I ever manage to finally catch another surf species, I'll let you know!

I didn't know you could eat them!!!!,I personally applaud your post as we all need to be aware of conservation,when you are out there with the skunk ,remember this post ,,,thanks

Thanks for sharing! Great to know

Great info! Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks for your informative post. Great job.

Thanks for the post and pictures. I learned something today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast