Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Corona Del Mar Fishing w. video!

Default Corona Del Mar Fishing w. video!

Here is a place that does not seem to get much fishing attention. Maybe its the teeny bopper island aka Fire Pit Areas or the $20 for 5 hrs of parking that act as a deterrent, but this place can be productive.

The whole month of August I've visited Del Mar a whopping 5 times. The Yellow Fin Croaker have been schooling pretty hard just out the first wave break. If you watch the first wave break coming in, you can see the yellow and silver as there are tons of these fish cruising in for the chance to snag a sand crab.

During the day, Ive found a few decent sized sand crabs, but at night its a different story. There are thousands of them the size of a quarter and bigger ready for the picking!

Now even close to shore, I've caught plenty of young leopard sharks. They are a quick fight, but can make your reel scream if you arent ready for it.

Night fishing here is a different story, let me tell ya. I've fought a Smooth Hound Shark 2' long for 3 mins. Pulled in Guitar Fish, Bat Rays, and the occasional Y.F.C.

I usually try to target croaker here, since they are so abundant you would figure they would be getting hit all the time, but I've only managed to get 3 of them the last few visits.

Most of my time here has been breaking into the light tackle surf fishing world, and Im hooked. Most of the time I run 1 rod, a 7' Light rod that used to be my pan fish slayer, a size 4000 reel, 20lb braid, and 10lb foluro at the end.

If you plan to visit pay for parking down in the lot (its much higher rate during the weekend). I recommend parking on the residential street right next to Inspiration Point and walking down the ramp. You get a birds eye view on the entire beach, where the waves are breaking, if there are any schooling fish, or possible places to set up camp. Not only that, you get a great view of everything!

This place has been a salad blender a few times I've been here but recently it seems to have cleared up well.

Well, thats all I got. Go visit this place! I've only seen 3 fisherman here in all my visits, almost everyone who fishes hits the harbor side or the jetty. Which leaves an entire beach for me to work!

Here is a video of my last outing at Del Mar, check it out and subscribe for more incoming content!

Laters bruh.

Neat report and I enjoyed your video. That is great that all of those baby LEO's are out there and are not being wiped out. When I lived up in Oakland CA when I was a kid I was with my uncle on the San Francisco Bay and he landed a LEO that was over five feet long, WOW.
    I look forward to your next report & video.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jig-Guy View Post
    Neat report and I enjoyed your video. That is great that all of those baby LEO's are out there and are not being wiped out. When I lived up in Oakland CA when I was a kid I was with my uncle on the San Francisco Bay and he landed a LEO that was over five feet long, WOW.
    I look forward to your next report & video.
    Bill
    I remember those days, we used to fish under the bay bridge at the tip by the radio station KDIA