Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Are Stripers line shy? Braid vs Fluorocarbon

Default Are Stripers line shy? Braid vs Fluorocarbon

I'm thinking of fishing Silverwood for stripers from the shore or near shore.

Are stripers line shy - does it matter if I use staight braid vs fluoro? I'm thinking about 6 lb fluoro and with braid - maybe 12 lbs.

Thanks for any insight.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I'm thinking of fishing Silverwood for stripers from the shore or near shore.

Are stripers line shy - does it matter if I use staight braid vs fluoro? I'm thinking about 6 lb fluoro and with braid - maybe 12 lbs.

Thanks for any insight.

UL
    In our limited experience of fishing Stripers from shore at Lake Silverwood. The lighter line does seem to help! I know you didn't ask this question, but we found cut anchovies works best for bait if your going to bait fish.

Thank you! :)

Definitely use a fluorocarbon leader if you're still fishing for stripers...6 lb. should work fine.

Thanks. How long a leader would you recommend? Or just straight fluoro? I use Sunline Sniper and have 6 lbs.

Thanks.

Straight fluoro certainly works, but a leader is cheaper. 18 inches to no more than 3 feet is plenty. Stripers have big eyes and they can be line shy.

Mr. Stripey has 2 modes. 1. chase and destroy. That means jerkbaits and topwaters etc. In which case straight braid works fine. And 2. scrounging for dead bait and stinky stuff. In this case at least a 36" leader or better yet straight 4 to 6 pound test flouro or mono .

Thanks!! Helpful.

I can cast a whole lot further with braid (Gliss) which is why I asked.

Grateful for all the comments.