Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New to Huntington Flats

Default New to Huntington Flats

My dad and I are planning a day trip out to fish the flats and it'll be our first time going there outside of a charter boat. My dad has a 21 foot Capri Bayliner and we've taken it around LB harbor near the breakwater but that's about it. We're planning on launching at the Sunset Aquatic Ramp but have never been there either. I read it's $10 a day so we'll see if that's true.

Any tips for us? Where can we get some live bait nearby?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks all

Do you have a bait tank? You can get live bait at nachos (long beach bait co), look up their website for info and directions. I would recommend bringing some frozen squid with you also, and a lot of guys like to use plastics and spoons/lures. Its been real tough out there recently, even at Catalina. I was out there between HB and the shoe trying all the usual spots this past Sunday and the one before and the bite is slow. I would say the LB breakwall would prob be best right now, thats my opinion.
    Though there is lots of sardines, mackerel, and tons of lizard fish around that area right now, from OC to PV, but you never know when might get lucky and get something nice, there should be plenty of calico around along with short barricuda, and hopefully soon bonito will start showing up. From what i have see, the kayakers and tubers in the harbors seem to be having better luck in there than most others out in the open. Ive seen multiple occasions seeing them land some monster bass. Good luck!

You might try soaking or bouncing some sardines on the flats as there is always halibut in that area,if you find one there’s more in that area also may pick up some sandbass,as said it is kinda of slow right now locally.
    If you fish around the horseshoe you can scratch up some Rockies,and there’s some big concentrations of whitefish around also,and a few smaller barracuda. Hope you get some! Enjoy

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks guys, we're heading out soon so I'll let you guys know what happens!

Hey did you get out there just wondering and if you did how did it go.