Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
    Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
    Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
    After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
    I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
    Get ready the trophies are out there!
    Last edited by vineline; 08-01-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vineline View Post
    Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
    Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
    Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
    After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
    I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
    Get ready the trophies are out there!
    I take it you were fishing from the shore. West shore or by trout island?

glad to see everybody back, I am so happy danila only thing missing is mitz -rest in peace

Here we go!

Great to see an actual report here...!!!!

Countdown is on, welcome back to "The Vine" everyone!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I take it you were fishing from the shore. West shore or by trout island?
    Any response regarding if they were fishing from the shore or a boat? Where from shore were they fishing. I heard that for Saturday we may have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot. Will we not be able to drive our vehicles to where we would like to fish at?

.9 miles one way .9 miles the other weigh get a backpack and remember no alchoal or cigarets

Quote Originally Posted by chatmar View Post
    Any response regarding if they were fishing from the shore or a boat? Where from shore were they fishing. I heard that for Saturday we may have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot. Will we not be able to drive our vehicles to where we would like to fish at?
    That's what I got from the limited amount of information being put out!

Sounds like a City Dump. I'll go to a beautiful Ocean that nature has bestowed upon us. Can people really be that desperate to fish in a catchment lake whether well stocked with factory fish or not???What ever happened to all those rare huge catfish that were dumped in there when Lion Country Safari went bankrupt?? Truly a lure for the suckers from that area.

YFP

I'll pay the higher prices at DVL.Peris and or Silverwood to catch fresher healthier fish than Irvine has plus I can use my boat if I choose too..
    Last edited by Yogis fishing partner; 08-16-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast