Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

Quote Originally Posted by chatmar View Post
    etucker, you got any more details regarding the parking and how far will we required to walk (haul fishing gear and stuff) at Irvine going forward? No more parking your car next to good spot next to the water, open up a canopy, set rod holders up, put bells on my cat poles and hold on for a good time.
    The best I can tell, we all park at the parking lot below the tackle shop and start walking! That's does create some interesting scenarios though, that I 'hope' I can exploit! Lol

You guys need to post some pics from the opening

I'm waiting for them to allow float tubes again. Walking the shore... no thanks.

Hopefully the 'powers that be' will realize to take full advantage of this lake, you need to have full access to the lake. Irvine Lake is not a pond, you cannot simply just shore fish around it, it is just to big. Big enough for boating, fishing or whatever. This includes tubing and 'yaking.

Went today, was packed (obviously), had many hits in the AM and broke off on some due to the cluster of branches in there, only landed 4 cats though. All were around 8-9 pounds, and 25-28 inches. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	52192 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	52193

This is the best news I've heard in a long long time! I can't wait to see if they stock trout, and if they will allow kayaks or tubes. So happy to see Daniela posting again, this makes me so happy! I just got a mailer TODAY that said the lake was re opening, I had no idea til right now!

Nice haul, eVoked!!!

Irvine Lake is such a gem!

I can't wait to go!!!

I've never fished Irvine Lake so this morning I headed over a little before 10am. Since it's close, I wanted to do a scouting mission before bringing my kid.

I spent two hours there, fished for fifteen minutes maybe only ten. Logged close to my ten thousand daily steps on my phone first cruising over the east shore, then the west shore looking for a spot that I could grab where I wouldn't be wedging in four feet away from the people on either side or standing knee deep in a mud flat if I land a fish.

Needless to say, no bites. In my time passing all the anglers, I saw no one catch a fish or even have a fish on. I counted 27 anglers leaving as I walked the path, I saw a total of six sunfish between two of them.

The west shore, IMHO, is only marginally fishable given the brushpile you have to fish through in the water. Judging by the amount of gear already readily visible in the brush, count on losing gear unless you've mastered fishing through 20 feet of drowned thicket.

The east shore is less impacted by brush, more mud, more crowded.

Over the hill is the second boat ramp. You can fish there as the ranger told me the shore is open from the point to the boat landing but they are in a pretty good algae bloom he said.

Overall, a beautiful morning for a lake shore hike packing light gear. The OC park pass will be valid. As things settle.down as long as the water district don't drain the lake, things should get better.
    Last edited by Midwest; 08-18-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Went again today, managed 6 catfish between me and my grandpa, 3 and 3. All were around 8-10 pounds.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234