Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Probably no to the night fishing! Why because no other Orange County park has offered that and it's the same people who are running this one!
    Tri-Cities isn't open till 10pm anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
    Tri-Cities isn't open till 10pm anymore?
    I was talking to the Ranger at Craig park a few years ago. This was the time they were acquiring Tri-city into their program. He said at the time, he was to be the Ranger at both parks and he was hoping to straighten things out there. (In other words it's the outlier park!) Don't look at them for anything to set a precedent too! All the clean and beautiful Orange County parks (Carbon Canyon, Craig, Ralph B, Miles square, LNL, Irvine Regional and Yorba Linda) all have gates and close at 9:00 pm sharp! So those are the parks I'm comparing Irvine lake too, especially LNL!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-12-2019 at 08:16 AM.

I take it you were fishing from the shore. West shore or by trout island?
    Any response regarding if they were fishing from the shore or a boat? Where from shore were they fishing. I heard that for Saturday we may have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot. Will we not be able to drive our vehicles to where we would like to fish at?

Quote Originally Posted by vineline View Post
    Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
    Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
    Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
    After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
    I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
    Get ready the trophies are out there!
    Good to see you again young lady. This is Robert Chatman. I have been praying for over 3 years that my favorite place in the world would someday open again. I guess prayers really do get answered. Can someone say King of Cats From The Shoreline!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vineline View Post
    Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
    Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
    Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
    After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
    I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
    Get ready the trophies are out there!
    Did Marlon try for any Crappie while pre-fishing?

.9 miles one way .9 miles the other weigh get a backpack and remember no alchoal or cigarets

Quote Originally Posted by chatmar View Post
    Any response regarding if they were fishing from the shore or a boat? Where from shore were they fishing. I heard that for Saturday we may have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot. Will we not be able to drive our vehicles to where we would like to fish at?
    That's what I got from the limited amount of information being put out!

Sounds like a City Dump. I'll go to a beautiful Ocean that nature has bestowed upon us. Can people really be that desperate to fish in a catchment lake whether well stocked with factory fish or not???What ever happened to all those rare huge catfish that were dumped in there when Lion Country Safari went bankrupt?? Truly a lure for the suckers from that area.

YFP

I'll pay the higher prices at DVL.Peris and or Silverwood to catch fresher healthier fish than Irvine has plus I can use my boat if I choose too..
    Last edited by Yogis fishing partner; 08-16-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogis fishing partner View Post
    Sounds like a City Dump. I'll go to a beautiful Ocean that nature has bestowed upon us. Can people really be that desperate to fish in a catchment lake whether well stocked with factory fish or not???What ever happened to all those rare huge catfish that were dumped in there when Lion Country Safari went bankrupt?? Truly a lure for the suckers from that area.

YFP

I'll pay the higher prices at DVL.Peris and or Silverwood to catch fresher healthier fish than Irvine has plus I can use my boat if I choose too..
    That's interesting, I've never seen Irvine Lake called a Dump before! Lol

What really does make it unique, is it's ability to grow Monster Blue Catfish!

It works on the Feed lot principal.

If you stock 5-15lbs Blue Catfish (starter Blue Catfish) and don't kill them and just let them grow. Because of the tremendous amount of food in there, they will grow to almost 100 pounds! But a Blue Catfish life expectancy is only about 20-25 years, so you have to keep re stocking them! Other wise you get down to nothing in the way of Monster Blue Catfish! Their is a bunch in there now that should be some where North of 60 pounds by my calculations! But if their not re-stocked in the next 15 years that fishery will die again! (not much on the natural reproduction that I can tell goes on in there!)

I've got to call you out on that Silverwood thing! You do know their is an advisory on eating too many fish from Lake Silverwood! (eat too many and you could die!) Plus they had an Algae bloom in their so bad recently, they didn't allow any bodily contact with the water! (they were afraid people would get sick or die!) I never heard of any kind of warnings like that at Lake Irvine! But hey, if want to call it a city dump that's ok! But what would the rest of us call Lake Silverwood using the same kind of judging standards? A toxic waste dump, that is also Radioactive!!! Lol Lol Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.

That's interesting, I've never seen Irvine Lake called a Dump before! Lol

What really does make it unique, is it's ability to grow Monster Blue Catfish!

It works on the Feed lot principal.

If you stock 5-15lbs Blue catfish and don't kill them and let them grow. Because of the tremendous amount of food in there, they will grow to almost 100 pounds! But a Blue Catfish life expectancy is only about 20-25 years, so you have to keep re stocking them! Other wise you get down to nothing in the way of Monster Blue Catfish! Their is a bunch in there now that should be some where North of 60 pounds by my calculations! But if their not re-stocked in the next 15 years that fishery will die again! (not much on the natural reproduction that I can tell goes on in there!)

I got to call you out on that Silverwood thing! You do know their is an advisory on eating too many fish from Lake Silverwood! (eat too many and you could die!) Plus they had an Algae bloom in their so bad recently, they didn't allow bodily contact with the water! (afraid people could get sick or die!) I never heard any kind of warnings like that at Lake Irvine! But hey, if want to call it a city dump that's ok! But what would the rest of us call Lake Siverwood using the same kind of judging standards? A toxic waste site, that is also Radioactive!!! Lol Lol Lol
    etucker, you got any more details regarding the parking and how far will we required to walk (haul fishing gear and stuff) at Irvine going forward? No more parking your car next to good spot next to the water, open up a canopy, set rod holders up, put bells on my cat poles and hold on for a good time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast