Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

Default Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
    Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
    Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
    After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
    I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
    Get ready the trophies are out there!
    Last edited by vineline; 08-01-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vineline View Post
    Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
    Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
    Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
    After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
    I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
    Get ready the trophies are out there!
    I take it you were fishing from the shore. West shore or by trout island?

glad to see everybody back, I am so happy danila only thing missing is mitz -rest in peace

Here we go!

Great to see an actual report here...!!!!

Countdown is on, welcome back to "The Vine" everyone!

TD

Forget about the cats it’s all
    About the Slabz fattting up !!!

Lol..

CM

I plan on going soon after it re opens, but anyone who's going, do you have a strategy yet? (it's going to be a zoo!) I do and for once I don't want to burn my spot! Lol See you at the lake!!!

What about the hours and day's of the week to be open after the opener?

From OC Park.

Park Hours: Friday-Sunday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Parking: $5

rvine Lake is scheduled to reopen August 17 to shoreline fishing only, Fridays through Sundays.

* No license required. California Department of Fish and Wildlife fishing regulations regarding fish limits apply.
    * Bass (catch-and-release), catfish, carp, bluegill, crappie and sturgeon are in the lake. The lake will not be stocked.
    * Shoreline fishing only. No boats, float tubes or other recreational activities available.
    * Bait and light snacks available to purchase.
    * No alcohol permitted.
    * No access to Irvine Ranch Open Space.

Please do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. The entrance gate will not open until 7 a.m. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regards to the safety of everyone on the road. Please plan your drive accordingly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast