Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Mammoth and June Report 7/28

Default Mammoth and June Report 7/28

Interesting trip. Bear ate all my fish at Mamie. Tui Chub are at Mamie. Convict was beautiful. Brook trout from Mammoth creek. And water is way up at Grant lake.
    Overall report from friends and family: stocking in convict and mammoth was good enough for a slow pick but was excellent 2 weeks ago. June loop and creeks have been barren for weeks.

Long Report:

Stopped briefly at Convict on the way up. Beautiful with the snow capped mountains. Fished the North shore until the wind started picking up around 11am. Saw 1 fish from shore and 2 farmed on a boat. Grabbed a stocker from the creek on the way out.

Fished Mamie in the evening for a few fish. Unfortunately the local bear stuck up on us and decided they were his fish. He lazily ate his way down the stringers and left only the heads/tails. Apparently this is his daily routine. Guess you can't use a stringer there anymore, just have to put them straight into the car.

Water was way up at Grant so we tried some new spots looking for some bigger fish. Grant is definitely my goto lake for getting a limit but I'm still looking for a fish larger than 14 inches there.

Hit up Mamie in the morning and the bear was doing his rounds. My friend got a chub on a nightcrawler. Best I can research, there is only 1 type of chub in mammoth: the endangered Tui Chub.

Mammoth creek was flowing heavily and didn't seem to have any stockers. But we still threw into the deep spots and got rewarded with a brook trout.

Also hit up some creeks around June Loop. Not many fish to be found but you can always scrounge some fish from the creeks.

Overall a little rain, a bunch of sun, always good to smell the pines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190726_085852.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	52167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190726_174149.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	52168  

I was the attorney who did all of the fishery litigation (Rush Creek/Mono Lake. When we were talking about re-watering the Owens Gorge, LADWP turned "fish hugger" and resisted based on the "threat" to the Owens Chubs in the Gorge if there was water access to Pleasant Valley Reservoir without the interruption of the hydroelectric plants.

Actually there are chubs all over the Eastern Sierra but they are predominately hybrid Lahontan/Owens Tui Chub. The endangered chubs are Owens Tui Chubs. As far as I know, the Owns Chubs can only be found in the headwaters of Hot Creek in the ponds upstream from the hatchery and in portions of the Owens River Gorge. Back when I was dealing with this stuff, there was a fishery biologist in I think North Carolina who was the expert on distinguishing Hybrid Lahontan/Owens Chub from the Owens Tui Chub.

Default 👍

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for the report!