Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass or Bluegill for kids

It could have been bass that you hooked, but usually after they get hooked they will swim up toward the surface to jump and try and shake the hook loose. But not always. They could also have been large Redear Sunfish that love nightcrawlers. When they are hooked, not only do they pull hard, but they will make strong runs that will pull line off of your reel's drag. But who knows what they were. That's part of fishing. Not knowing what you'll hook into.

Yeah, they could have been really large Redears or Bluegills but they would have had to be really large to peel off line the way that they were, even bigger than the 1 pounders or so that I sometimes catch. I really wish I had at least seen them, or gotten a good look at those fish I hooked in May for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Yeah, they could have been really large Redears or Bluegills but they would have had to be really large to peel off line the way that they were, even bigger than the 1 pounders or so that I sometimes catch. I really wish I had at least seen them, or gotten a good look at those fish I hooked in May for that matter.
    Hi, I think the fish you lost could have been carp. I fished the dock in Sail Cove a few weeks back and had 3 bites on mealworms and redworms, both peeled drag and went towards the deeper water. The first two came off while it was running, but the latter I landed, a 12 pound carp (caught on mealworm & 4 lb test). Fast forward a few days later, I drop shotted another carp, and that one was also a big carp.

Interesting, Evoked. Perhaps all the big fish that I hooked there this year were carp. I think the one that almost spooled me in May was the biggest. I would say 12 pounds would be a reasonable guess on that one. The two last time pulled steadily toward deeper water, and there were other peoples' poles in the way farther out on the pier, which complicated things. Yeah, carp may not be particularly sought after fish, but they can grow large and they can really pull.

Maybe I will see you there at the Sail Cove pier soon.

There's some pretty big cats there also.

Ok did anyone fish today at perris August 2nd? If so, was it as good as everyone says it was?...

Quote Originally Posted by Fnguyen5992 View Post
    Ok did anyone fish today at perris August 2nd? If so, was it as good as everyone says it was?...
    Who said it was good We fished today for a bout 6 hours for a total of 3 fish, before we burst into flames. Too damn hot off the water by 1. Caught a 3 1/2 and a couple of 2's. Missed another 4 or 5 including a blow up on a frog. Lots of grass everywhere makes fishing a little tough.

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapBoyz View Post
    Who said it was good We fished today for a bout 6 hours for a total of 3 fish, before we burst into flames. Too damn hot off the water by 1. Caught a 3 1/2 and a couple of 2's. Missed another 4 or 5 including a blow up on a frog. Lots of grass everywhere makes fishing a little tough.
    Millsap go check out staybentoutdoors on Instagram. Guess he got 30+ fish. I went the day before and only got 6 dink's. Guess conditions changed drastically in 1 day lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnguyen5992 View Post
    Millsap go check out staybentoutdoors on Instagram. Guess he got 30+ fish. I went the day before and only got 6 dink's. Guess conditions changed drastically in 1 day lol.
    I saw it. Sounds like a fish story to me

I went to Perris yesterday and can confirm that panfish in various sizes are biting well around Sail Cove. I was on the little pier, didn't even have the best spot, and most people did well. Some one pound Bluegills were caught and I caught a Redear about that size too, plus lots of smaller ones. All one had to do was drop some bait near the bottom, straight down, and fish were biting. Most of the bigger ones were caught casting out from the end. (I kept the Redear and 6 Bluegills, but must have let a dozen or so smaller Bluegills go.) They remain surprisingly omnivorous, with corn, dough bait and bread catching Bluegills. Worms are working too. I caught the only Redear on a redworm. They were biting on flies and jigs too but difficult for me to hook on artificials as they were bumping them lightly. No Bass were seen. Somebody hooked a catfish as I was leaving, though, but it fell off when they tried to bring it up onto the pier.

By the way, people are still fishing for carp. but as Kwin mentioned, the carp population is expected to decline in the coming years relative to other species with the higher water levels. However, the water is down about 5 feet from this June.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-10-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast