Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SARL 24 hour fishing/camping

Quote Originally Posted by Mister.Twister View Post
    12 hours! I would have CHUMED

SARL has not been even close to the days it used to be. Its over fished and super poached.

I used to love going there with the family to fish, drink beer and hang out and watch the sunset.

Now its dusty and skunky.

So classic at the Fred Hall show, they make it like its the worlds best trout pond.

First of all, SARL is a the worst place I have EVER fished. It is a Hole in the ground, with water in it. Maybe they DO stock it weekly, but, having worked at a Fish Farm, the stock is usually very small, and NOT worth catching. 2nd, It's a Hole,..... full of water,....No natural elements, no structure, no eco system. Good fishing lakes have a system, it starts with Zooplankton, which feeds the Phytoplankton, that newly hatched fish feed on. No NEWLY hatched fish live there, because, AGAIN, no natural elements, no structure, no eco system. Birds eat the newly stocked fingerlings, and the few BASS that are there, eat the rest,......Horrible Place. If you REALLY need to get rid of $20, message me, I will take your money, and give you at least a LIKE! I caught more in a drainage ditch in Buena Park, got a Pamper, a few syringes, a nice Mallard carcass,......

Quote Originally Posted by TheLuckyAngler View Post
    It’s been several years since I last visited SARL (this was before they began stocking ¿tilapia?), but I’ve always caught sizable trout there. Though certainly not the best place to fish in socal, it’s literally adjacent to the 91 freeway in the OC. Just wondering, does anyone know whether they stock Calaveras trout?
    They stock Mount Lassen trout at SARL. Calaveras trout are stocked for sure at Lake Dixon and the Best trout lake in Southern CA Lake Wohlford!

"In the short term, Irvine will be open Fridays through Sundays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., with hopes that enough early use and demand for the gem of an Orange County resource will be high enough to justify further expansion of public use in the future beyond the already agreed upon one-year deal between the county and Serrano and Irvine Ranch water districts."

This smells really strange.

Gary James Entertainment, a concert promoter who has the exclusive right to sponsor large events on the property and has no prior experience in recreational fishing , has been given responsibility for bringing back the recreational fishing? He seems to have the backing of OC Supervisor Wagner, but why are there no fishing folks involved? Even DFW is excluded because it will be managed as "private aquaculture" without the requirement for fishing licenses.

Does anyone really think that long term weekend fishing is compatible with the kind of concerts, corporate picnics and special events that GJE promotes? If I was a concert promoter who wanted to stage events there on weekends, I would basically open the lake to fishing with very little forethought or organization and hope that a logistical catastrophe caused by lack of planning is followed by general disillusionment so those pesky fishing folks can be removed as "an experiment gone wrong" to clear the weekends for "Orange Coachella." Doing laps on Silverado Canyon waiting for the gates to open seems like a good first step to chaos.

I really hope I'm wrong, but if the result of this disorganized opening is a "Fish-ageddon" at Irvine this weekend, it may really just be a premeditated step to "landing" Taylor Swift....
    Last edited by Old Hooker; 08-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
    "In the short term, Irvine will be open Fridays through Sundays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., with hopes that enough early use and demand for the gem of an Orange County resource will be high enough to justify further expansion of public use in the future beyond the already agreed upon one-year deal between the county and Serrano and Irvine Ranch water districts."

This smells really strange.

Gary James Entertainment, a concert promoter who has the exclusive right to sponsor large events on the property and has no prior experience in recreational fishing , has been given responsibility for bringing back the recreational fishing? He seems to have the backing of OC Supervisor Wagner, but why are there no fishing folks involved? Even DFW is excluded because it will be managed as "private aquaculture" without the requirement for fishing licenses.

Does anyone really think that long term weekend fishing is compatible with the kind of concerts, corporate picnics and special events that GJE promotes? If I was a concert promoter who wanted to stage events there on weekends, I would basically open the lake to fishing with very little forethought or organization and hope that a logistical catastrophe caused by lack of planning is followed by general disillusionment so those pesky fishing folks can be removed as "an experiment gone wrong" to clear the weekends for "Orange Coachella." Doing laps on Silverado Canyon waiting for the gates to open seems like a good first step to chaos.

I really hope I'm wrong, but if the result of this disorganized opening is a "Fish-ageddon" at Irvine this weekend, it may really just be a premeditated step to "landing" Taylor Swift....
    Doing the laps part on the highway is pretty funny! I'm sure their will be people who still will try to park on the highway. I wonder if CHP will write them tickets?
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-13-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12