Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: lagoon fish taste

Default lagoon fish taste

took a grand son fishing at the lagoon sometime back. He caught some bluegill and he wanted to keep one for the BBQ. I notice it had a little muddy taste. Anyone had such an experience with lagoon's fish?

never ate one but bluegills and crappie are usually the better tasting fish.. though I think they dump something in lake to keep algae down and kill weeds.. and if fish eat that crap that's floating everywhere because of it.. its like a green mush.. then that could be it. not 100% sure though. how did you cook it? I don't catch and eat from the lake.. ill keep fish from ocean though.. but that is rare and I rarely go. maybe it was as small fish living near the goo and eating it compared to a little deeper fish living in the rocks and eating better stuff.. idk.

Default lagoon fish taste

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    never ate one but bluegills and crappie are usually the better tasting fish.. though I think they dump something in lake to keep algae down and kill weeds.. and if fish eat that crap that's floating everywhere because of it.. its like a green mush.. then that could be it. not 100% sure though. how did you cook it? I don't catch and eat from the lake.. ill keep fish from ocean though.. but that is rare and I rarely go. maybe it was as small fish living near the goo and eating it compared to a little deeper fish living in the rocks and eating better stuff.. idk.
    Could be due to the algae or the herbicide. Water did looked clear. I tried to keep away from weedy area because I did not want to spent all day pull him out of snags. We were near a rocky shore and water looked relatively clean. I cooked it for him on the BBQ that picked off the meat with fork to remove the bones. I just had a little taste before giving to him and notice the muddy taste. I do not usually fish the lagoon, but with a young child the upper has way too much wake and requires constant attention on a boat!

ok I know this is late but I watched some youtube video the other day and even read some stuff about this.. but ya.. so I guess the theory which is confirmed I guess. is catch and eat fish from colder fresh water for better taste.. once the water starts to warm and is warm the fish taste more and more muddy.. which is weird but I guess I did more cold water fishing up northern cali as a kid when I ate more fish that we caught so it was always pretty good.. never really tried a warmer water fish I guess since now I just catch and release... and last time I caught and ate was 300 foot deep fish in ocean and those were good! sorry so late