Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inching along

Default Inching along

New article in the OC Register, fingers crossed-

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/1...public-access/

I heard on KFI yesterday afternoon that Orange County is ready and willing to pay to get the lake back open this summer. The only hold up is the way the the profit will be split up between the 2 water districts, and Orange County.

seems like good news..

So there is this abandoned recreational lake and the "public" agencies are squabbling over who gets all the PROFITS if it's reopened?

If the operation of Irvine Lake had been all that profitable, they would have bankrupted around the big legal judgment and then selected among several competing vendors. Know why that never happened? Because while Irvine Lake could marginally sustain itself, it was hardly rivaling Amazon and Microsoft.

If the lake is going to reopen, it will be a struggle reopening after so many years of neglect and substantial money will have to be advanced to get the facilities ready for prime time. IF there are any profits after the vendor payments, for at least the first few years, they need to be reinvested into the recreational area. With responsible bag limits based on species and size, pre-paid priority tickets through Ticketron for weekends and some assistance from the local biology students at UCI, CSUF, Chapman etc., this could turn into a public version of Lake Barrett in San Diego.

The answer is to have the County run the lake as a non-profit. The Water Districts can deduct their "contributions" so they can be reinvested. The water companies can then self-promote by plastering their names all over the area for community good will and positive advertising. Having spent many years litigating with intractable water agencies, offer to name coves after the President of each water district and they will beg to participate.

If oil or gold is suddenly discovered in the parking lot, THEN fight over profits.
    Last edited by Old Hooker; 06-15-2019 at 11:53 AM.

I hope it gets reopened. I live close and its the only lake that I have caught fish consistently.

Me too- I really want to launch my boat there soon, but I'll take shore fishing if we can get it-

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/2...g-this-summer/

You know its nice that they are working somewhat to getting it back open. That much I get. Shorefishing only though........wow. It amazes me the greed and dysfunctional of the agencies in O.C. I guess you gotta take what you can get. Sad.

Isn’t this lake just about dry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtogo View Post
    Isn’t this lake just about dry ?
    Nope, it's actually more full than it's been in years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast