Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catfish at Clark Park?

Default Catfish at Clark Park?

Has anyone tried fishing at Clark Park in Buena Park? Any tips that can be shared? Bait? Interested in taking my son over there to give it a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    Has anyone tried fishing at Clark Park in Buena Park? Any tips that can be shared? Bait? Interested in taking my son over there to give it a try. Thanks!
    Let's hope with 2,000 pounds being stocked they put them in both the front of the lake and in the back. In the La Mirada catfish derby they put them in in just one place. (Nuckleheads) In the Laguna lake catfish derby they were going also going to do that, but someone smart said, "no way Jose!" These same people even offered to help stock the lake in several places. The end result was their was action in many parts of the lake! I came in a few day's later and found them in the front of the lake! My friend couldn't believe it, but I found that spot in 2008 when they re did and stocked the whole lake back then. (it's been a long time, since I had to use that spot again!)

Back to Clark.

They probably will stock the Big portion of the Lake. (but you never know what these idiots will do) So casting in the middle of the lake is a safe bet! (but watch where other people are catching and try to cast in there) You can hit the middle of the lake from 4 angles, so if you get there before 7 am when they open. (Hopefully you can get one of those spots) A lot of times people walk in there before they open the gates at 7, so you might get screwed! (even though you are following the rules)

Standard Carolina rig is the way to go! (even though I fish a slip bobber in there 95% of the time) Lol Your 3 standard baits will work just fine.

1. Shrimp

2. Mackerel

3. M/M

If you get stuck in the back don't panic! I've had many fine trips in there. (let's just hope they put fish back there too) Standard baits and cast in the Middle too! If you get stuck in the middle section you might be screwed! But if you do, their is 2 bubbles that form a bookend end effect. Try to cast just barely past them in the middle. Surprisingly their is a channel at Clark that runs 8 feet all through the lake. So you can catch a catfish anywhere in the middle of that Lake.

Good Luck and I hope you catch a bunch!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.

There's going to be a kids derby tomorrow there hence the reason for so-called 2,000 lbs of catfish being stocked.

Agree with etucker on many anglers are going to be walking in before the gate opens but doubt they will tomorrow. Come Sunday is a different story, even worse, poachers will probably hit the place Saturday after park closes/Sunday early morning before park opens up. But hopefully, with some tips from anglers, there will be hawk eyes out scouting the place to catch them.

I would suggest flylining your bait if you can get away with it, or slip bobber rig like etucker said.

Agree with typical bait as well, mackerel, shrimp, M/M

Good luck out there because it's going to be a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Let's hope with 2,000 pounds being stocked they put them in both the front of the lake and the back. In the La Mirada catfish derby they put them in in just one place. (Nuckleheads) In the Laguna lake catfish derby they were going to do that also, but someone smart said "no way Jose!" These same people even offered to help stock the lake in several places. The end result was their action in many parts of the lake! I came in a few day's later and found them in the front of the lake! My friend couldn't believe it, but I found that spot in 2008 when they re did and stocked the whole lake back then. (been a long time to use that spot again!)

Back to Clark.

They probably will stock the Big portion of the Lake. (but you never know what these idiots will do) So casting in the middle of the lake is a safe bet! (but watch where other people are catching and try to cast in there) You can hit the middle of the lake from 4 angles, so if you get there before 7 am when they open. (Hopefully you can get one of those spots) A lot of times people walk in there before they open the gates at 7, so you might get screwed! (even though you are following the rules)

Standard Carolina rig is the way to go! (even though I fish a slip bobber in there 95% of the time) Lol Your 3 standard baits will work just fine.

1. Shrimp

2. Mackerel

3. M/M

If you get stuck in the back don't panic! I've had many fine trips in there. (let's just hope they put fish back there too) Standard baits and cast in the Middle too! If you get stuck in the middle section you might be screwed! But if you do, their is 2 bubbles that form a bookend end effect. Try to cast just barely past them in the middle. Surprisingly their is a channel at Clark that runs 8 feet all through the lake. So you can catch a catfish anywhere in the middle of that Lake.

Good Luck and I hope you catch a bunch!
    Somehow I knew you would be willing to share Etucker, thank you again! Looking forward to seeing you again at La Mirada.
    Will give it all a try. Fact - I have never caught or had a bite on a mealworm in numerous attempts at city lakes or SARL ever.

Will try it again since they normally give some away there. Hoping to have some fun and really hoping there are good amount of authorities monitoring the adults fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    There's going to be a kids derby tomorrow there hence the reason for so-called 2,000 lbs of catfish being stocked.

Agree with etucker on many anglers are going to be walking in before the gate opens but doubt they will tomorrow. Come Sunday is a different story, even worse, poachers will probably hit the place Saturday after park closes/Sunday early morning before park opens up. But hopefully, with some tips from anglers, there will be hawk eyes out scouting the place to catch them.

I would suggest flylining your bait if you can get away with it, or slip bobber rig like etucker said.

Agree with typical bait as well, mackerel, shrimp, M/M

Good luck out there because it's going to be a zoo.
    Thanks Nuoc! Appreciate the input. I will be trying the slip bobber as well.