Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Open Trout fishing at Lake Silverwood!

Default Wide Open Trout fishing at Lake Silverwood!

It's probably one of the best trout bites I've ever seen in my Life!!! (Let me explain why) The state did an audit about trout stockings in 3 CA lakes. (Silverwood, Castaic and Pyramid) They found the DFW short changed these 3 Lakes and better do something about it quick or ELSE! So the DFW is going to stock 50,000 pounds of Rainbow trout in these 3 lakes in the month of June! Silverwood lake got 8,000 pounds of trout stocked this week in Cleghorn canyon! (See what happened?) It's wide open and stupid on nice size trout in Cleghorn canyon as we speak! It's literally a fish a cast!

We knew it was going to be stupid there this morning, so we didn't even bother to go there first! We stopped at the docks for some Crappie and Striper fishing. I got Skunked on the Crappie but my friend Phil caught 5 Stripers. So put that all together, it was a great morning of fishing!

p.s. Don't say I never gave you people anything of value! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-06-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    It's probably one of the best trout bites I've ever seen in my Life!!! (Let me explain why) The state did an audit about trout stockings in 3 CA lakes. (Silverwood, Castaic and Pyramid) They found the DFW short changed these 3 Lakes and better do something about it quick or ELSE! So the DFW is going to stock 50,000 pounds of Rainbow trout in these 3 lakes in the month of June! Silverwood lake got 8,000 pounds of trout stocked this week in Cleghorn canyon! (See what happened?) It's wide open and stupid on nice size trout in Cleghorn canyon as we speak! It's literally a fish a cast!

We knew it was going to be stupid there this morning, so we didn't even bother to go there first! We stopped at the docks for some Crappie and Striper fishing. I got Skunked on the Crappie but my friend Phil caught 5 Stripers. So put that all together, it was a great morning of fishing!

That leaves 21,000 pounds each for pyramid and Castaic then Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterGuppy View Post
    That leaves 21,000 pounds each for pyramid and Castaic then Nice!
    Not quite but close. Their putting in another 4,000 pounds of Rainbow trout into Silverwood today!

Almost got it....DWR is purchasing trout to fulfill their mitigation requirement in their FERC license (which is why Silverwood, Castaic, and Pyramid get trout every year). CDFW hatchery issues/repairs have resulted in the shortfall over the last few years leading FERC to require DWR to purchase trout now. The shortfall this year has to be met by the end of June for book keeping purposes and before water temps preclude trout stockings. Take a friend who has never fished before, it gets no easier. Enjoy!

Default Trout stocking program.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Almost got it....DWR is purchasing trout to fulfill their mitigation requirement in their FERC license (which is why Silverwood, Castaic, and Pyramid get trout every year). CDFW hatchery issues/repairs have resulted in the shortfall over the last few years leading FERC to require DWR to purchase trout now. The shortfall this year has to be met by the end of June for book keeping purposes and before water temps preclude trout stockings. Take a friend who has never fished before, it gets no easier. Enjoy!
    Hello kwin.

Do you have any updates from the CDFW about the possibility of reinstating hatchery trout plants into Piru Lake? I used to fish there many years ago for bass and trout before restrictions began over 10 years ago. Have not read any updates on the Southern Steelhead tributary and hatchery trout cross breeding restriction. Hopefully, this can be mitigated and resolved soon and bring back the holdover trout fishery.

Big Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobigal View Post
    Hello kwin.

Do you have any updates from the CDFW about the possibility of reinstating hatchery trout plants into Piru Lake? I used to fish there many years ago for bass and trout before restrictions began over 10 years ago. Have not read any updates on the Southern Steelhead tributary and hatchery trout cross breeding restriction. Hopefully, this can be mitigated and resolved soon and bring back the holdover trout fishery.

Big Al.
    Sorry, it’s not my region so I don’t pay that close attention. If I had a lake with the steelhead issues at Piru in my region it would be unlikely trout stocking would be reinstated due to the lawsuit filed in 2006 that prevented them in the first place.

It's too bad the DFW didn't give the angling public advance notice on these plants! (it did mention in W.O.N. about Pyramid getting stocked) But for Silverwood it was locals only or a few like me who read every small fishing website I can find! That's doing a dis service to the angling public!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-08-2019 at 05:39 PM.

It's too bad the DFW didn't give the angling public advance notice on these plants! (it did mention in W.O.N. about Pyramid getting stocked) But for Silverwood it was locals only or a few like me who read every small fishing website I can find! That's doing a dis service to the angling public!
    These were fish purchased by DWR from private hatcheries. CDFW is under no obligation to notify the public about fish plants from private hatcheries or plants not part of the CDFW Fishing in the City program. I believe advertising these plants is a disservice to those that made camping reservations months ago or decided to go to Silverwood for the day without chasing a stocking truck. They should be rewarded with a potentially improved angling experience without innundation from internet/tabloid magazine trollers.

Sorry, it’s not my region so I don’t pay that close attention. If I had a lake with the steelhead issues at Piru in my region it would be unlikely trout stocking would be reinstated due to the lawsuit filed in 2006 that prevented them in the first place.
    Thanks for your reply.

I sent an email to the CDFW Southern District for information regarding the EIR study and possible lifting restrictions. Besides Piru Lake, hatchery trout plants are not being put into Castaic Lake lagoon. I believe Lake Casitas was allowed to begin trout plants in 2018 which is in the upper watershed of the Ventura River, a mainstay for the remaining native steelhead trout population. So, not sure what's holding things up. Another question was whether hatchery raised "sterile" triploid trout could be planted so not to interfere with inbreeding of the native species which was the basis for the lawsuit by the environmentalists.

Big Al

These were fish purchased by DWR from private hatcheries. CDFW is under no obligation to notify the public about fish plants from private hatcheries or plants not part of the CDFW Fishing in the City program. I believe advertising these plants is a disservice to those that made camping reservations months ago or decided to go to Silverwood for the day without chasing a stocking truck. They should be rewarded with a potentially improved angling experience without innundation from internet/tabloid magazine trollers.
    Such much as been made from declining license sales in the State of California. Go back 50 years till now, even counting in the increased population of California and you can see their is a big problem of angler participation and license sales in CA. If it's not the DFW job to try to reverse that trend, then who's job is it? If it's no one job, then no one should ever complain again about decreasing license sales in the state of California!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast