Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing on a budget

Default Fishing on a budget

Im looking to buy a rod and reel for under $150. What would you guys recommend?
    I was thinking about getting a uglystick tiger rod with a marathon reel from dicks
    With 65test braid, let me know what y誕ll think. Thanks in advance

Turners Outdoor stores have a lot of combo rods and reels,the guys in Downey are pretty knowledgeable and would be happy to give you some good recommendations in your price range.

Cya Tuna Vic

What type of fishing are you planning to do with this combo (inshore-bay, kelp beds, catfishing)? With the mention of 65lb braid, I am guessing you are hoping to target yellowtail and pelagics with this combo? If so, Penn has some great combos for around $100. Also keep an eye out on slickdeals.com. They have some great combos for half price once in awhile on the site. I picked up a Penn Pursuit II combo for $35 last month. It is my bait rod for the kelp beds.

Quote Originally Posted by sobaking View Post
    Im looking to buy a rod and reel for under $150. What would you guys recommend?
    I was thinking about getting a uglystick tiger rod with a marathon reel from dicks
    With 65test braid, let me know what y誕ll think. Thanks in advance
    As another posted noted, giving us a better idea on how you're going to utilize this combo will make it easier for recommendations.

One thing I will tell you, is that you can get away with more budget friendly combos when fishing in freshwater, but just the nature of saltwater and how tougher it can be on gear, should play a factor in your decision.

If you sign up to Sierra Trading Post's newsletter, you'll get coupons throughout the week that you could possibly use on some gear there:

Reels: https://www.sierra.com/spinning-and-other-reels~d~6869/

Rods: https://www.sierra.com/spinning-and-other-rods~d~6867/

Thank you all who replied, Im mostly targeting yellow tail. I purchased a penn combo from dicks
    With 65 braid but now I'm worried about tangles on the cattle boats so i don't know if I should add a top shot of 100 yards of mono or just add 12 inches

If it's not too late to answer. I recommend you to use the Powerbraid.
    Use the Promo Code SFCQ6C2E to get yours on 40% OFF. Link here on Amazon.
    Join in RUNCL Fishing Club on Facebook
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Propelled By Passion

I used the code and I got a great deal on 2 300 yard spools of 20 lb braid 8 strand. Thanks a lot