Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Crappie?

Default Crappie?

Hit Perris for a few hours this morning. Caught some shallow bass and two very nice crappie. Both were about two pounders. I have fished there hundreds of times and have never caught one before. Did these come in with the new water?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F651A6C-4A58-4D3C-8F15-81CEAE911991.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	52091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F651A6C-4A58-4D3C-8F15-81CEAE911991.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	52091

Pretty sure they have been there for a long time, I think all the new flooded brush has helped them spawn so we should see more. I have been trying to find some but no luck so far.

Quote Originally Posted by srsnow View Post
    Pretty sure they have been there for a long time, I think all the new flooded brush has helped them spawn so we should see more. I have been trying to find some but no luck so far.
    Not a fluke. big Crappie in Perris.

I've fished Lake Perris for many years and have only caught one crappie there and it was a big surprise. The largest crappie I had ever caught. I was bass fishing along the bouye line with a buddy and we saw a guy out about 500 feet from us catching, (what we thought were bass), and after he pulled off of the spot, we motored over to see if we could do the same. It was in the late winter time, so I put on an ice jig and started bobbin it on the bottom. After a minute or two, I was hooked up with what I thought was a bass. Faught like hell ... Boy was I surprised when I landed the biggest crappie I had ever caught. It weighed an estimated 2 -3 lbs. I figured any fish that had lived long enough to get that big deserved to go back into the water and grow bigger! Yes, there are crappie in Perris. I bass fish it probably two times a month and that was the only one I had ever caught. Perhaps, I should pick up some crappie jigs and see what else lurks in the water!!
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 06-08-2019 at 08:41 AM.

I have caught Crappie occasionally at Perris since 1999, but typically they are an uncommon catch, except for a few years shortly after I caught my first Crappie there, around 2000 - 2002 when they had a population explosion. The population went down after that and stayed down while the water was lowered, but they might have a comeback now that the water is up and new areas have been flooded.