Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  RUNCL   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Carp Spawn

  1. #1

    Default Carp Spawn

    For you guys who frequent Perris I was wondering if you have seen any spawning activity. I know there has been some at Big Bear (super early) and a little at Elsinore but since this is the first year for bowfishing to be approved at Perris I don't know the lake well at all. When carp spawn they will move shallow and the males (smaller) will chase the females (larger) in groups. They will disrupt the surface and muddy up thre water a lot. I've been three times and have found carp near the submerged trees in deep water. These carp tend to be anywhere from 2-8 feet deep.

  2. #2

    Default

    yep launch ramp an the east end! i wish there was more people pulling them out! there population seems to have exploded since the water went up or maybe i'm just noticing them more

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rucker View Post
    yep launch ramp an the east end! i wish there was more people pulling them out! there population seems to have exploded since the water went up or maybe i'm just noticing them more
    their population increased when the water went down during the drought and conditions were to their benefit.

  4. #4

    Default

    I did see a little activity in deep water among the trees. Didn't go today because of weather but next Wednesday might happen. Big Bear is calling my name though, water is up at BB we should shoot a ton there this year, literally.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    I did see a little activity in deep water among the trees. Didn't go today because of weather but next Wednesday might happen. Big Bear is calling my name though, water is up at BB we should shoot a ton there this year, literally.
    Go to the east end on the newly flooded flats near the palm trees. Huge ones everywhere. Right in the bushes spawning and cruising. So many I thought about buying a bow. What do you do with them and how many can you shoot? Great way to rid the lake.

  6. #6

    Default

    My partner has a family friend who takes them but normally I dump them in the desert for the coyotes and raccoons. there is no limit on them. Perris has been frustrating this year for me. I've shot some big ones, shot some 7 lb goldfish and Wednesday I shot a mirror carp which was my first one of those. Just can't get any numbers racked up. Wednesday a few bass guys said they were amazed how few there were in the shallows that day because the week prior they were spawning and splashing everywhere. Oh well back to Big Bear on Tuesday for me.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    For you guys who frequent Perris I was wondering if you have seen any spawning activity. I know there has been some at Big Bear (super early) and a little at Elsinore but since this is the first year for bowfishing to be approved at Perris I don't know the lake well at all. When carp spawn they will move shallow and the males (smaller) will chase the females (larger) in groups. They will disrupt the surface and muddy up thre water a lot. I've been three times and have found carp near the submerged trees in deep water. These carp tend to be anywhere from 2-8 feet deep.
    When we were out last Sunday there were tons of them on the North side of the island. They were all breaching the water. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen with the Carp.

  8. #8

    Default

    Late spawn this season for sure. I think the water fluctuation and late warm up might be the reason but as I said I don't know Perris well at all. It took me almost 8 years to get them to approve the sport there and now that it is I need to learn the patterns as well as I do Big Bear and Elsinore. I appreciate you guys supplying me with info so I can learn faster. Once the fish start staying 4-6 ft deep even though you can see them you only hit 1 in 10 at greater depth. As you can imagine once they stay deeper you get bad penetration so you lose a lot of stuck fish on the retrieve.

    If you catch them in the depths less than that in numbers you can hammer them pretty good. Not unusual for me to shoot 2-300 lbs of 3-8 lb fish in a day when it's like that. If the fish are big like at Perris you can get to those kind of weights fast. So far I shot some 20 lb'ers which is big by the other lake's standards but no numbers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    sa bernardino
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    Late spawn this season for sure. I think the water fluctuation and late warm up might be the reason but as I said I don't know Perris well at all. It took me almost 8 years to get them to approve the sport there and now that it is I need to learn the patterns as well as I do Big Bear and Elsinore. I appreciate you guys supplying me with info so I can learn faster. Once the fish start staying 4-6 ft deep even though you can see them you only hit 1 in 10 at greater depth. As you can imagine once they stay deeper you get bad penetration so you lose a lot of stuck fish on the retrieve.

    If you catch them in the depths less than that in numbers you can hammer them pretty good. Not unusual for me to shoot 2-300 lbs of 3-8 lb fish in a day when it's like that. If the fish are big like at Perris you can get to those kind of weights fast. So far I shot some 20 lb'ers which is big by the other lake's standards but no numbers.
    Can you shoot them from shore, and also do I only need my basic fishing licence?

  10. #10

    Default

    Yes and yes, not a good lake for shore shooting though. Much better at big Bear for shore shooters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •