Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  RUNCL   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Are they serious about this or what? DFW Fishing in the City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Are they serious about this or what? DFW Fishing in the City

    On DFW's website that have the following page...

    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing-in-the-city

    ...obviously, they are trying to get people to participate in their "Fishing in the City" program. Sounds good, right? A place close to home where you can fish for a couple hours and maybe even catch one or two. Problem is, it's hard to catch much out of an empty lake or pond.

    I thought I might even go over to one of my local park lakes and give it a shot but then I thought I'd check the stocking schedule...

    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/SearchCriteria.aspx

    ...which I did. Here's what I found about the three closest lakes (or ponds since two of them hardly qualify as "lakes").

    From 11/4/18 to 5/19/19 here's the trout plants, or scheduled plants, in those three closest lakes/ponds. The first one, the biggest, which is about 17 acres or so - stocked 4 times - 11/11 to 11/17/18, 12/16 to 12/22/18, 2/17 to 2/23/19, and 2/24 to 3/2/19. The next one, about an acre and a quarter in size, stocked 2 times - 2/17 to 2/23/19 and 2/24 to 3/2/19. The last one, also about an acre and a quarter, probably slightly larger than the second one actually though, stocked 1 time - 11/11 to 11/17/18.

    So, the last stocking of any of these lakes was at least 69 days ago. How many of those stockers do you think are left from 69 days ago? Do you think that DFW actually did stock any of these lakes? Why would DFW bother to tout "Fishing in the City" and then expect people to fish in essentially empty lakes? Seems like that would be a good way to DISCOURAGE people from fishing instead of encouraging them to do so.

    I mean, if the DFW doesn't want to stock these lakes, fine but if they're trying to get people to fish them shouldn't they put some fish in them?
    Last edited by Fish Dog; 05-10-2019 at 06:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    sa bernardino
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Try reading their stocking schedule online. It dosent even work. You cant get info on any creeks or lakes.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    On DFW's website that have the following page...

    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing-in-the-city

    ...obviously, they are trying to get people to participate in their "Fishing in the City" program. Sounds good, right? A place close to home where you can fish for a couple hours and maybe even catch one or two. Problem is, it's hard to catch much out of an empty lake or pond.

    I thought I might even go over to one of my local park lakes and give it a shot but then I thought I'd check the stocking schedule...

    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/SearchCriteria.aspx

    ...which I did. Here's what I found about the three closest lakes (or ponds since two of them hardly qualify as "lakes").

    From 11/4/18 to 5/19/19 here's the trout plants, or scheduled plants, in those three closest lakes/ponds. The first one, the biggest, which is about 17 acres or so - stocked 4 times - 11/11 to 11/17/18, 12/16 to 12/22/18, 2/17 to 2/23/19, and 2/24 to 3/2/19. The next one, about an acre and a quarter in size, stocked 2 times - 2/17 to 2/23/19 and 2/24 to 3/2/19. The last one, also about an acre and a quarter, probably slightly larger than the second one actually though, stocked 1 time - 11/11 to 11/17/18.

    So, the last stocking of any of these lakes was at least 69 days ago. How many of those stockers do you think are left from 69 days ago? Do you think that DFW actually did stock any of these lakes? Why would DFW bother to tout "Fishing in the City" and then expect people to fish in essentially empty lakes? Seems like that would be a good way to DISCOURAGE people from fishing instead of encouraging them to do so.

    I mean, if the DFW doesn't want to stock these lakes, fine but if they're trying to get people to fish them shouldn't they put some fish in them?
    It's been a slow death around Los Angeles. For years now they have been progressively reducing plants and size. Now it's literally a few netfuls of 10inch trout.

    I could justify that if they planted catfish during summer. But they completely stopped that years ago. The year they stopped I made calls to the dfg and asked what was going on. But everyone just said they would be planting soon.

    There's a whole discussion to be had about the necessity of fishing in the city. We simply can't afford to have everyone fishing in the few streams and lakes around LA. And fishing is a great gateway into appreciating nature. But standing shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of other people once a year at the kids fishing derby is the only experience available now.

  4. #4

    Default

    The DFG are almost a complete failure on stocking the local ponds. However, their is some hope. Their is other groups that do stock some of the ponds. The Orange County ponds get stocked by Orange County and they are decent fish. (Both Trout and Catfish) Their is also Kids catfish derby's where you can mop up some fish. Laguna lake in Fullerton had one last month and I was able to mop up 15 decent catfish the next week. Orange County is stocking catfish somewhere every month, just check their website. So yes the DFG is a complete failure but other groups do step up. Even LA County did some of their own stockings in the past but their hard to get the information on. Plus most of the ponds have a good Carp and LMB population in them and they can be fun also!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Orange County is stocking catfish somewhere every month, just check their website.
    Thanks for the info. You have a link for that^^^?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Thanks for the info. You have a link for that^^^?
    Orange County Regional Park website. Click on Catfish stocking! They got one coming up this week!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Orange County Regional Park website. Click on Catfish stocking! They got one coming up this week!
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •