Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: DVL bluegills

Default DVL bluegills

Never fished for bluegills there before but reading past reports makes me want to head out there and try. Anyone know if the bluegills are around and biting yet? I'm about 1.5 hrs away so any intel is really appreciated.

I've fished for stripers and bass before with only a handful of fish for the few trips that I've fished it.

Thank you.

Will you be fishing from shore? I have fished there from shore a fair number of times, with Bluegills the most common catch. I have never been skunked there, but that includes trips when I only caught small fish. I have had better luck along the shore area to the right of the marina than the left, in all 3 coves. I have also caught small bass, crappie and Channel Catfish there, but never any trout, redears, stripers, etc. I haven't been there in a few years, though. I think the fishing is better when the water is high, which I gather it is now, and panfish have bitten well for me in May. Most of the fish are decent size, but they vary anywhere from dink juvenile Bluegills and bass, to really large panfish. When they are really biting, the Bluegills bite on artificials like jigs and flies as well as worms.

I also fished there from a boat once (in June) and caught several monster Bluegills in deep water by the floating restroom, but people also say that along the east dam is really good, or far back in some of the coves.

Overall, I would say "go for it."

Was there last week on a rented boat. We caught 10, it was pretty tough.

Thanks for the responses.

Think I'll be renting a boat. I'll post report when I'm able to hit it up. Been a couple years since I fished the lake =0)

We're heading back out tomorrow. We'll see if we catch any.