Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could use some help scouting for some SoCal Scouts

1. Default

Your best bet would be to go to a jetty in the ocean, hook everyone up with shrimp for bait, and catch bass + opaleye. Easy and nearest thing to a guaranteed fish for the guys.

Kern River has a lot of trout but it can be difficult. It's worth considering. But it will have high flows.

Lone Pine Creek got hit hard by a fire several years ago. Cleared out a lot of the brush but and I caught fish there a couple years ago, but it's going to be running fast and hard for a while...probably not ideal.

Skip Santa Ana River. It's tiny and gets hit way too hard.
    Lytle Creek still gets stocked routinely. Keep an eye out for those...can be very easy at times and prettier location (at times) than others, trash-depending. Get there early. Watch the stocking schedule. Creek is wider than Santa and more fun to cast in.

The Sierra's are great though...Onion Valley might be an option (caution: high elevation), Little Lakes Valley/Rock Creek, etc. If you want "real" trout fishing, head up that way. Or to Sequioa area.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Your best bet would be to go to a jetty in the ocean, hook everyone up with shrimp for bait, and catch bass + opaleye. Easy and nearest thing to a guaranteed fish for the guys.

Kern River has a lot of trout but it can be difficult. It's worth considering. But it will have high flows.

Lone Pine Creek got hit hard by a fire several years ago. Cleared out a lot of the brush but and I caught fish there a couple years ago, but it's going to be running fast and hard for a while...probably not ideal.

Skip Santa Ana River. It's tiny and gets hit way too hard.
    Lytle Creek still gets stocked routinely. Keep an eye out for those...can be very easy at times and prettier location (at times) than others, trash-depending. Get there early. Watch the stocking schedule. Creek is wider than Santa and more fun to cast in.

The Sierra's are great though...Onion Valley might be an option (caution: high elevation), Little Lakes Valley/Rock Creek, etc. If you want "real" trout fishing, head up that way. Or to Sequioa area.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the help, I would prefer freshwater as that is what was assigned to me. The Troop is also doing deep sea earlier in the month. Keep in mind that this is for the end of September so I think much of the snow melt off will be done by then.

Since we are doing whitewater rafting out of Kernville this weekend I am going up a day early with my son to scout out the Kern.

I had no idea they stocked Lytle Creek, that was the place that I fell in love (with guns). My in-laws live over the hill in Wrightwood so I will definitely check that out too.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12