Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Which Is The BEST Portable Fishing Rod Rack?

Default Which Is The BEST Portable Fishing Rod Rack?

Which One Is The Best One For Your Needs?

For months i've been using easily the 2 best portable fishing rod racks out on the market. I've fished piers, jetties, lava flow outcrops to coral reef flats & sandy stretches. Throughout my day & night trips i've discovered pros & cons of both units. Wasn't expecting the cons but let me explain the differences of both units.

The Taco Rod & Reel Portable Rod Rack w/Wall Mount-
    This rack can accept up to 4 rigs. Very lightweight & keeps the rods aligned during transport. The immediate drawback was the rigs on the bottom, Without a leg system to elevate the front if you used spinners you'd be damaging the bail wires when placed on the ground. But after discovering this i still used it by either placing the rack in my utility wagon or on a 5gal bucket. Or i just held it & took the 2 bottom rigs out first. Also my main concern is placing the holder on soft fine sand. That'll create disaster for any reel to have that sand enter the reel's mechanism! Comes with a wall mount so you can prepare your rigs the day before.

Rod Runner Portable Fishing Rod Rack-
    I was expecting no problems with this highly touted rack. Comes in either white or grey, 3 or 5 rig capacity. The first thing i noticed using the 5 rod rack carrier was it was heavier then i expected. But the weight was equally distributed even though i was using my right wrist that was busted last year, still wasn't a problem. The legs weren't wimpy & equally handled the weight. Even though there was elastic straps to steady the individual rods in each tube on the longer +9ft lengths the rods were swaying back & forth. I had problems with my 12' & 13' rods. The tips were crossing over & clashing together. Over time this will cause noticeable damage to the epoxy coating. I had to use a rag strip to secure the rod's tips. Very disappointed about this discovery considering the initial purchase price & the added shipping. But again i found a way to correct this with a throw away rag so problem once again solved.

When i go out fishing i bring half the store with me for 2 day trips with enough food & water plus bait. I have multiple action cameras, lights & other video equipment. I spend the first 10-15min cleaning up every area i visit because some anglers don't care enough about others. I hope i gave enough insight to narrow your choices of rod racks to choose. Please shoot me a message if you found something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cR9U5MnyJE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover copy.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	51959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-Pic.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	51960  

Thank you!! Wonderful post. Much appreciate your generous sharing.

I've been eyeing the Rod Runner so it is good to get a review.

If you can do with two rods on the 'rack', this is what I ended up going with. I ended up going with the FishNPack people.

https://www.fishnpack.com/product/to...luxe-backpack/

The advantage is that you get 2 rods holder hands free so that your other 2 hands can carry stuff. However, I did not like their pack as I like packs with many more compartments and more sleek looking. I ended up ordering their inserts, and put it inside the EBags Professional Slim laptop bag. That made for an expensive affair but I already used the Slim Junior for my daily trips and travel to other countries. The insert form FishNPack is a perfect fit though you have to 'drill' holes in the pack. It turned out to be a rock solid very firm result with ZERO play. Even with nothing in the pack, it keeps its rigid shape and looks very sharp. And I have everything accessible with plenty of pockets. I can't say enough about the Ebags Pro Slim laptop bag. By the way, the pack is very durable.

So I can carry my oversized net in one tube, and another rod in the other tube on my backpack. And I carry my 2nd rod in hand. I have a water bottle in the side webbing. This allows me to move very quickly when I need to hike to location.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy on the planet with this setup and I highly recommend it.

If you're only going to carry 2 rigs this looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Chris View Post
    If you're only going to carry 2 rigs this looks great!
    Yes indeed. However, I think of it as a 3 rod rig in this sense. With the other rigs, you are using one hand to carry that. So with this, you can use the same hadn to carry one rod, and then 2 rods in the pack - same number of hands occupied for 3 rods.