Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Too much fun!

Default Too much fun!

Finally got out to Lake Perris. It's been quite a while since I've fished here. Broke in my new JDM Mebaru 7' 6" rod (thanks Sonny!) with this 1 1/4 lb Bluegill. This rod is super light with a solid graphite tip and is very sensitive. I've never fished a rod like this before. Fish hit a slow trolled 1/48 oz.belly spinner jig on 2 lb test line. I forgot just how strong these big panfish are, especially with a long light rod and 60 to 70 feet of line out! All big Bluegill are C & R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.5 inch LP BG 2.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	51940  

Wow. Good one, Jeff. They still aren't biting very much though, I take it.

Agree nice report ��

What a little pig that one was, great pic

Nice one! I don't really panfish yet, but someday I'll give it a try and see. I'm not much of a fish eater so they'll be catch and release just like the bass. I got nothing against eating one's catch, but I'd much rather increase my chances of catching them later on at a larger size. With the high water level and a whole lot of submerged cover to hide in I'd imagine Perris will produce some trophy size offerings of all species that roam the waters. Might take a couple of years, but the wait will be well worth the reward.

I did actually hook into one of the larger panfish last year fishing the shallows of the east end of the island for bass. Fought hard, but sadly it snagged one of the trebles of my lure on a submerged branch during the fight. I got a good look at it, but by the time I reached back and got my net it shook loose and was gone when I went to scoop her up. I'm guessing it may have been close to a 2-3lb class panfish based on the side profile view I got of her. Might even have even been bigger as fish tend to look smaller underwater. Yep....Sounds like one of those the one that got away fisherman tales....The side profile image of a dinner plate sized panfish is what I see embedded in my mind.

Have fun and enjoy your time on the lake. I'm sure it's the start of many rewarding adventures that await you in the waters of Lake Perris.

kenmitch.. You are really missing out on a ton of fun! With ultralight rods & reels and 2-4 lb test, it's a blast! I fished for bass most of my life, then I discovered the giant Florida Bluegill at nearby Perris, and Lake Skinner, and San Vincente down San Diego way. Plus I met a neighbor that keeps a nice boat at Perris that fishes just for panfish who is an expert with the BGs and Redears and has caught half a dozen BGs last year that went a foot long or more! (Do you realize just how big that is for a Bluegill?!) I enjoy finding and catching these fighters more than catching bass. Also just to let you know, all BGs over 9 inches are released, to keep the lake a trophy BG fishery. Actually all the fish are released, unless someone wants to eat a few. The smaller ones taste better anyway.

That’s one beautiful gill,congrats!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    kenmitch.. You are really missing out on a ton of fun! With ultralight rods & reels and 2-4 lb test, it's a blast! I fished for bass most of my life, then I discovered the giant Florida Bluegill at nearby Perris, and Lake Skinner, and San Vincente down San Diego way. Plus I met a neighbor that keeps a nice boat at Perris that fishes just for panfish who is an expert with the BGs and Redears and has caught half a dozen BGs last year that went a foot long or more! (Do you realize just how big that is for a Bluegill?!) I enjoy finding and catching these fighters more than catching bass. Also just to let you know, all BGs over 9 inches are released, to keep the lake a trophy BG fishery. Actually all the fish are released, unless someone wants to eat a few. The smaller ones taste better anyway.
    Someday I'll give it a try. I have seen and talked to a guy on the lake that just fishes for the gills and crappie as far as I can tell.

I saw one of those giant bluegills today in the east end of the lake. I was cruising in around 7-8ft of water following the drop off from the shallows to the deeper water. I was thinking it was a nice sized bass at 1st but the giant black dot on it's cheek gave it away as I slowly peddled past it. It was sitting in 4-5ft of water with it's tail to the drop facing into the current.

As I was leaving at the PWC ramp with my kayak there was a float tuber also leaving. We BS's for a while and he told me that when he launched in the morning he saw somebody catch a couple pound crappie off the outer treeline next to the PWC ramp.

The water temp is rising, and the lake level is dropping for some reason or another. Looking at the water stains on the brush it looks like 3-4 ft recently.

beautiful fish!

Heard lake perris is full
    Of fish right now...
    With so much cover under water
    The lakes are going to be off the
    Hook in years to come!!!

Cm